PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump applicability.

56pan
12-21-2009, 11:36
I have recently found out I have a Clevite part no. 601-2016 oil pump installed on a 6.5 TD engine manufactured in 2001. It's a GEP engine and has the oil squirt holes in the block for piston cooling. I have had no luck on the Clevite website finding out if this pump is indeed the high flow pump needed for this engine. It also said "P551" on the pump package. If anybody is familiar with this pump applicability, I'd sure like to hear of it. Maintains less oil pressure than the old engine, but usually right at mid scale. Haven't put a direct reading guage on it yet. Goes a little less than mid-scale at idle.

JohnC
12-21-2009, 18:46
If the pressure's there then the pump has sufficient volume. A "low volume" pump would fall way behind at idle, especially with hot oil. If you have 40+ psi at cruise with hot oil you're good to go.

56pan
12-22-2009, 00:35
Oil pressure does stay at about 3/8ths scale at idle, just a tad under half scale at cruise. It is running at less than the old '93 engine, though, noticeably. Probably okay, but if it does turn out to be the wrong pump, I'm going to replace it. Sent Clevite an email to their tech. dept., but haven't heard back yet. Thanks John.

56pan
12-23-2009, 10:37
I'll close this thread since I got to the bottom of the oil pump issue. Called Clevite's main location and the pump with their number was sourced from Melling. The Clevite 601-2016 crossed to a Melling M55I oil pump for '96 and earlier engines. Wrong pump for my engine, and I believe the only reason the pressure isn't any lower than it is is because it's cold here and the eng. has less than 1500 miles on it. Very tight yet. The right pump for '97 and later engines is a higher GPM pump with a Melling no. of M255-294S. "S" denotes it comes with the oil screen. Ordered it and will get it this aft., but won't have time to put it on before I leave for work for a month. The factory manual on my truck, '93 C2500 (2wd) says the engine must be raised to get the oil pan off. On my '85 1/2 ton with a 6.2 it said the same thing, but when I rotated the front crank counterweight up into the block, I was able to get it off. Anybody taken a pan off a '93? Did you have to raise the engine? Thanks for any help.

john8662
12-23-2009, 12:56
If it's anything like the 6.2, yeah you gotta raise the engine. Just get your engine hoist on the engine, disconnect the batteries and the engine mount (just the 2 big bolts). Carefully jack the engine up until the fan hits the fan shroud (stagger the blades to get the most height), also watch the firewall stuff.

Then you'll be working on the pan with the cherry picker's feet beside you.

You'll also want to go kick your part's guys butt for this one...

The later blocks have smaller squirters, but you still want the correct pump for that engine.

56pan
12-23-2009, 14:03
Thanks, John. I've got a good hoist. I'll get it done when I get back in Jan. Long story about why it had the wrong pump put on it. It wasn't intentional and there's no hard feelings between the guy I bought the eng. from and myself.