PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Questions

Mikey von
12-21-2009, 20:11
I will be doing my exhaust very soon. I have been thinking about getting a complete custom setup, with a 3" downpipe going into 3.5". I will have a muffler, so I need to choose that also. One of my concerns with this is a hear the local guy can only do 3". He is also 6+ miles away. Can one drive without a downpipe 6+ miles?

So I have been thinking about buying an off the shelf exhaust. Are than any options for my '89 Suburban? Can I mod a kit for a newer truck? Does banks have downpipes available???

JohnC
12-21-2009, 21:08
Driving without a down pipe will probably set something on fire...

Flowmaster makes a good downpipe and crossover pipe for about $100. Still think you'd want some sort of pipe to get the exhaust out from under the truck before I'd drive it.

vstech
12-23-2009, 07:30
heck, that motor needs something on it before you drive far. any auto parts store will have that flex exhaust pipe you could pop in there for the drive to the shop, but it might be simpler to just have the truck towed to the muffler shop.

john8662
12-23-2009, 12:52
Your running a Banks turbo right?

Just use the Banks 3" downpipe, then find a shop that has 3.5" exhaust stock. Order all the mandrel bends you'll need (most likely several 45's) and have the shop cut and install.

I did this on my '86. Uses Banks downpipe, then had the shop just get all the mandrel bends they needed. The system IS 3.5" and instead of crimp bent. The total job was near 600 bucks though...

chevrolettd
12-31-2009, 15:24
i ran my truck with just the 3 inch flowmaster down pipe for 2 weeks but i wouldnt recomend driving it without one at all did that until i could do the stack