PDA

View Full Version : Brake light to RV flasher module problem

Spoolmak
12-25-2009, 16:53
I need to replace the stop light - turn signal light flasher module which is located somewhere under the dash near the center console. My truck has factory wiring harnesses for both camper and trailer. When my camper was last on, the left side stop light would not work on the camper. In that harness, each side's brake and signal light share a single wire circuit to the camper/trailer. The signal light flashed as it should, but there was no power in the circuit the moment the signal light was turned off and the brake applied. The prewired camper and trailer connector from the truck shows no current to the left side brake light.

This happened once before, to the right side, and the flasher module was replaced under warranty.

I'm now off warranty, so I'd like to save myself the 'labour' charge to change out the flasher module. The dealer has the module, part # 10383321, at a cost of $125. Can anyone tell me where exactly the module is located? When it happened before, it took the tech 15 minutes to diagnose and swap out the module - but this time I'm sure I'd be charged the one hour minimum of $108.

I know the tech undid two screws and pulled off the plastic trim piece that surrounds the instrument cluster, steering wheel and so on. Then he just pulled out several plugs, unclipped the flasher module, clipped in the new, connected the plugs, put the dash trim back on, and everything worked as it should.

It looked so simple.....

cowboywildbill
12-26-2009, 16:43
Also Check the fuse box under the hood on drivers side, and if I recall correctly there are seperate fuses for left and right turn signals there as well as camper lights. Which might affect the brake lights, since they work in conjunction to the turn signals. And there are also panels with relays and fuses on both sides of the dash, you have to open the doors to gain access to them. They are under the triangular trim pieces that pop off.

WhiteTruck
12-26-2009, 22:01
You can see it after you remove the trim panel under the steering column. Note the position of the DLC connector as a reference point.

Spoolmak
12-27-2009, 09:29
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The fuses are all ok. It is the module.

I will get the part next week and put it in.

Happy New Year, all.

Tor