PDA

View Full Version : 2010 California smog?

grmayer
12-28-2009, 20:36
Does any one have information on the 2010 California smog test? My registration is up 12.31.09. I went to two different smog test station and they were unwilling to test be because "i was told" it is illegal to test before January 1 2010. How am i going to get my smog certificate if they will not check my truck?

What about after market mod? i have been to the www.arb.ca.gov and it does not seem up to date.

Has anyone had there truck tested? Any help will be great!

Thanks!

Edahall
12-29-2009, 11:40
What a major hassle. I came very close to buying a 06 Duramax but after finding that CA was going to start smogging 1998 and newer diesels and that the vehicle license tax on the rig was going to be $650 per year, I decided against it. Luckily, my 1990 and 1982 Suburbans are smog exempt and I can mod as much as I like.

Several months before your registration expires, CA usually sends a statement in the mail that instruct you to have a smog check. If you did not get this, you're probably OK and can go ahead and pay for registration. Also, since your registration is up before 2010, you'll probably be alright for another year.

Any aftermarket mods such as exhaust, chips, etc could cause your vehicle to not pass.

DmaxMaverick
12-29-2009, 12:50
Don't worry about the smog tests until your registration renewal requires it. I don't know of any smog shops equipped to test Diesels, yet. If you want to test for your own peace of mind or curiosity, you'll have to do it at a heavy duty shop (Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc.), but it won't be anything like what will be required for light trucks (you'll only get a report with no guidelines or limits to compare). So far, the CA light truck Diesel smog inspection program isn't funded, and no indication of when it will be (fingers crossed). The state has bigger fish to fry. When it does begin, it won't be state-wide at first. As with the passenger car dyno testing, most areas will be exempt. I still don't have to have the dyno test on my gassers due to where I live (they haven't funded the expansion).

More Power
12-29-2009, 13:03
CA is proposing that the diesel aftermarket complies with CARB rules, and offer only CARB certified aftermarket products. They've done this for years in the gas market. While it's a pain for both the aftermarket and consumers, it has allowed the aftermarket to stay in business. However, I expect all of the smokey ECM tuning and plug-in devices to go away.

Jim

gimpyhauler
02-21-2012, 14:58
I'd like to open this up again for the latest information.

I just got my renewal notice and I have to get my '07 GMC Duramax smogged.

Any help would be appreciated.

ginger743
02-21-2012, 15:24
I know this is a String for " California SMOG " , however here in Clark County Nevada , Las Vegas area, a SMOG check is required annually for Diesels . Untill a year or so ago there was only one shop that could test a Diesel in my part of the valley, recently another one opened.

What they do is put the Truck under load on a Dyno and " sniff " the exhaust.

Jerry

Edahall
02-21-2012, 17:55
I'd like to open this up again for the latest information.

I just got my renewal notice and I have to get my '07 GMC Duramax smogged.

Any help would be appreciated.

If everything is stock and you have no codes, it should pass.

DmaxMaverick
02-21-2012, 21:16
If everything is stock and you have no codes, it should pass.

Ditto.

I'll add..... If it looks like all the equipment is there, then it is. They'll do a visual inspection, verify the PCM isn't complaining, and watch for smoke under no-load throttling. If you cover all of the above, no problem. Gas sampling is slated for future tests, but none of the shops have been required to do this, yet. With any luck, CARB will vaporize in the near future (wishful thinking).

Edahall
02-21-2012, 22:10
Ditto.

I'll add..... If it looks like all the equipment is there, then it is. They'll do a visual inspection, verify the PCM isn't complaining, and watch for smoke under no-load throttling. If you cover all of the above, no problem. Gas sampling is slated for future tests, but none of the shops have been required to do this, yet. With any luck, CARB will vaporize in the near future (wishful thinking).

Oh wow! I guess this is to catch cheaters like me who would run E85 to get my car to pass emissions.

DmaxMaverick
02-21-2012, 22:29
Oops! EXHAUST gas sampling, I should have said. NOT gasoline, or cabin air samples....

Edahall
02-22-2012, 13:53
Oops! EXHAUST gas sampling, I should have said. NOT gasoline, or cabin air samples....

Oops! Now that I mentioned what I do to pass smog, the next thing they're going to do is pass a new (gas sampling) law and spend billions of dollars to catch me and deem my vehicle unworthy of being on the road. :D