PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate won't open on early 2004 2500HD

silverback
12-29-2009, 22:22
Purchased in late 2003. Worked fine when I was loading firewood during lunch. When I went to unload it wouldn't open. How to take this apart to fix? I see some older threads about a tailgate cable recall. Could this be the cause?
Thanks,
Ken

DmaxMaverick
12-29-2009, 22:43
Not the cable.

The plastic pull-rod clips have probably broken. Remove the bezel from around the handle (it's secured with double sided tape and hook-clips). Once it's out of the way, you'll see the plastic retainers at the end of the rods. Easy to replace. If you break the hook-clips on the bezel, use more double sided tape to secure it (it'll stay there fine). The retainers are L and R, and different colors (red and green, IIRC). Replace them both while you are there.

Remove the old plastic and pop in the new. Install the rod into the hole and rotate the clip to secure it.

In the meanwhile, you can pull the latch rod by hand with the bezel removed (it won't fall into the tailgate). One side at a time.

silverback
01-05-2010, 21:25
Thanks! Do I just pry off the bezel?

DmaxMaverick
01-05-2010, 22:52
No. If you just pry it, it will snap the hooks. I did that to mine some time ago (it's still somewhere under the back seat), but have successfully done a couple others since. You can pull the bezel away from the sheet metal and push the tabs to release (but I can't explain how you will find them, I had mine in view when I did the others). The double sided tape won't survive, so plan on replacing that (thin foam type).

I don't have it handy, but will tomorrow. If you would like, I can snap some pics of it to show where the tabs are.

silverback
01-06-2010, 09:23
Dmax,
Pics would be great. The bezel on mine looks pretty loose (double sided tape doesn't survive AZ dry heat very long). I was able to get a pretty big gap pulling with fingers. I suspect it is just being held on by the tabs. I'm assuming I should be able to get the replacement clips from our Chevy parts dept.

Thanks,
Ken

DmaxMaverick
01-06-2010, 13:11
The tape doesn't really "hold" it on, but it could. More of a vibration eliminator. No surprise it let go, though. I'll get back in a few with the pics. Yes. The retainers are a GM item. I have the part numbers around here, somewhere (I'll look for those, too).