PDA

View Full Version : rtv, locktight, never sieze, ect

Mikey von
12-30-2009, 09:31
So getting ready to assemble my 6.2l and wondering what I need to pick up at the parts store today. These are pretty basic questions, but I would rather ask and get it right then assume and get it wrong.

Here are some areas tha tI have questions on what I should use -

Injectors and glow plugs - never seize
Valve covers - RTV or ???
Water pump backing plate - ??? (had something red and super sticky)
Water pump - rtv?
IP - ???
Intake - rtv??
Flex Plate bolts - ???
exhaust manifolds -???

anything else or any other tips??

john8662
12-31-2009, 20:39
Injectors and glow plugs - never seize? 2000K degree never seize (or close) on injectors only. cheap stuff will make your next work a nightmare. Glows don't need anything.

Valve covers - RTV or ??? RTV Black, get the stuff in the cheese whiz can, called "The Right Stuff", otherwise you'll be doing it again later because of leaks. Use this on the oil pan too (no gasket, except the rubber in the back. Put plenty of sealant on both sides of the rubber gasket too. The rubber WILL NOT SEAL ON IT's OWN.

Water pump backing plate - ??? (had something red and super sticky) Use a gasket, get a front timing cover gasket set from Felpro, it has this gasket in it. Coat it with the brown permatex aircraft sealant.

Water pump - rtv? Use the same procedure as the timing cover plate to timing cover (gasket and brown stuff).

IP - ??? Just the gasket, nothing else (available in the intake manifold gasket set AND the front timing cover gasket set).

Intake - rtv?? Gaskets, Felpro is good stuff.

Flex Plate bolts - ??? Lock Tite, red or blue will work fine here.

exhaust manifolds -??? The great antiseize mentioned above.