PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump siezed-how long should it last?

fastboat
12-30-2009, 17:09
I just had my vacuum pump sieze on me tonight. I replaced it a few years ago when it was making the big moaning sound, but it never actually seized. The back of the belt is pretty slippery, but it is still tight, so it should be spinning. Has anyone else ever had one sieze? I need to get home from where I am tonight, about 15 miles. Should I try it?
Dave

chickenhunterbob
12-30-2009, 17:20
I had one seize after squealing for a while, I had a new one waiting to put on, but I suspect you could easily go 15 miles with the belt burning, the only real consideration I suppose is how long the belt will last (keep the water pump turning and whatnot). The belt may be toast after you got home, so weigh the cost of a belt against the cost of a tow or taxi or whatever other means to get home.

DmaxMaverick
12-30-2009, 17:33
If the pulley is not spinning, DO NOT attempt to drive it 15 feet, let alone 15 miles. The belt WILL shred, no matter how smooth it is. 15 miles w/o a water pump leaves out driving w/o the belt. To get you by, you could get a non-pump belt (depends on what year model) and run with the vacuum pump out of the loop. This isn't always possible, and depends on year, model and equipment. If you have an unobstructed line between the pre and post pulleys, it should work. You can measure the difference once the belt is loosened by taking it off the pump pulley (while keeping it stationary on the other pulleys) and looping it back to itself. Mark it with chalk, crayon, pen, etc, ask for the same series belt for your truck minus that length. If your truck is a 94 (and possibly 95), a 93 HD (VIN F) belt should work (they didn't have pumps), as long as the rest of the equipment is the same (A/C, etc.). Or, perhaps someone here who has eliminated their pump on the same year/model could tell you which belt you need. A bit more truck info could be helpful.

chickenhunterbob
12-30-2009, 17:54
I drove about 40 miles with my pump seized, belt did not even shred one bit, and the same belt lasted for a good while after I replaced the vac pump, I'd not even be a tad bit concerned to drive 15 miles.

As they say though...your mileage may vary...

fastboat
12-30-2009, 21:12
The belt was already rubbing on the stuck pulley for a few miles before I stopped, and it really did not look as bad as I thought it would. I was still concerned, so I played around with it a little. I sprayed the back of the pulley (shaft) down with a lot of WD40, started the engine and banged on the pulley. It started to spin a little, then a little more, then it seemed completely normal. VERY STRANGE. It made it all the way home with no trouble. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but I'm considering the pump suspect at this point. I am thinking about the Turbo Master. I have a 94 6.5 with a computer chip, so if that throws a red flag up to someone please let me know. Thanks for the help!
Dave

JohnC
01-02-2010, 09:12
Those pumps have a little crank case filled with (IIRC) 90 wt oil. If you change the pod you need to "check the oil". If it was a new pump maybe it leaked or wasn't filled in the first place.

fastboat
01-04-2010, 10:14
Wow, that's interesting. I did change the whole pump, not just the pod. The WD40 is still doing the job, even with drastic temperature changes. Is there a fill hole or something to check it? I was guessing it was a sealed bearing around the shaft, and I figured it might be worn at this point, so I was keeping a close eye on it this week. It turns right away and makes no noise, and the boost is normal.
Dave

JohnC
01-04-2010, 11:37
I think you have to pull the pod off to fill it. It's been years...

fastboat
01-07-2010, 14:03
Well much to my surprise it continues to run without any hint of the previous siezing. Which of course makes me happy and scared at the same time! Why would it get that bad and not spin at all, only to go back to normal with only a few squirts of WD40?
Dave

JohnC
01-07-2010, 16:29
Waiting for you to get complacent...

fastboat
01-08-2010, 20:36
Yea, it will wait until I'm out in BFE before letting go, right?:o

Robyn
01-09-2010, 09:32
Stuff a fresh one on. :)

These things don't heal up :confused:

And it will go away when you least need it too.

Takes little time to swap out.

Missy

fastboat
01-09-2010, 10:45
I agree, but I've already put one on about 40k miles ago if that, so I don't know why it would have a problem already. I need to doublecheck my chip (it was already in when I bought the truck 8 years ago) to see whose it is and what the parameters are before considering the Turbomaster and removing the pump. As I search around and see the boost levels people are calling high, I get a little curious because under full throttle I go to 18 lbs without a load. Seeing Kennedy's site say they prefer their chip with the OEM vacuum system, I don't want to buy a TM only to find out it is not appropriate for my chip.
Dave