PDA

View Full Version : Emissions?

advanracing62
10-28-2003, 07:57
What's up kids? I know this may be a tough question for most of you, as you don't have emissions laws. Recently, I got the truck tested... and barely passed. The truck has always smoked when taking off and getting on the throttle, but I didn't think it was that bad. So, I guess my question is how to help the truck to not smoke so much. I've ran Redline DFA in there, had everything checked and replaced (as needed) for emissions.... The only thing that I have not done is replaced the cat/soot trap... which I'm thinking of getting rid of when I replace the exhaust. Anyone have any tricks or ideas? would changing the oil make a difference?

Cowracer
10-28-2003, 08:32
My foolproof-never fail method for getting a gasser to pass is to changes spark plugs, remove the air filter for the duration of the test, and tape off the radiator to get it HOT before the test.

So far I am about 32-0 for getting a gasser to pass, Including my wretched 87 nissan sentra with 155k on the clock and a carb best described as "flaky"

Except for the new plugs, these tricks should work for a diesel.

Tim

moondoggie
10-28-2003, 09:17
Good Day!

What part of the test did you almost fail?

Black smoke is not enough air or too much fuel. Generally, air filter, inadequate boost.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

advanracing62
10-28-2003, 11:08
kind of figured that it was too much fuel, but didn't really think about the air flow- the filter looks OK, but maybe a new one will be an improvement. I almost failed the opacity test... or something like that.. I'm hoping that with the addition of the boost controller from Heath, that running 10psi will help to clear up the raw fuel that is being wasted.

Turbine Doc
10-28-2003, 12:14
Advance,
How many miles on the truck, you may have a sooted up cat that needs replacing, also for air flow have you opened up the upper intake housing, or checked the donut gasket between upper and lower intake. Look here and you can see photos of what I'm talking about http://myweb.cableone.net/tbogemirep/

Stock set up has 2 small slits either side of EGR tower in upper intake, lots of gook gets built up in the upper plenum, try the inlet stuff 1st, then if emissions still marginal see if you can run a test pipe in place of the cat, mine at 37K was plugged up pretty good, I did find the donut gasket bad between upper & lower intake.

Another thought check that EGR system is operating properly, if EGR opens at wrong time you make excessive smoke, any codes ??? could also be bad MAF sensor, or IAT, or coolant temp,

turbovair
10-28-2003, 12:59
When my 96 failed emissions here in Phoenix, I took it to the dealer. They found that the turbo was inop due to bad waste gate actuator and repaired it under warranty. Once the turbo resumed working, emissions fell way off and I passed with ease.Is your turbo working properly?They say the best emission control device on a diesel engine is a turbo charger.

charliepeterson
10-28-2003, 20:09
Engine timing has a lot to do with smoke too. Turn it back to stock specs. and the smoke should clear up.

advanracing62
10-29-2003, 11:38
I've done the Kennedy air mods, as well as just getting the truck back from the shop- there are no codes anymore! The gasket just got replaced as well... I'm thinking that at this point it's got to be the cat- why the hell do I even have one? why do I even have a muffler? stupid things!!! I would suppose that the 3" DP and 3.5" exh. that I'm planning to add should help to clean that up also

tswartos
10-29-2003, 13:41
advan...opacity limit here in boise is 40...if u got anywhere close to that somethings wrong with your truck. I scored a zero with a mercedes td i used to own a couple year ago and i believe i had a 1 or 2 with my 95 6.5 this year

call up the folks in charge of testing and see if they've upped the testing stringency on diesels recently or what exactly they test for and that can help narrow down what to look for.

oh and it does depend on who tests your vehicle some spots put a mirror to check for a cat on my truck and others havent. If memory serves the cat will help burn up stuff...your fuel could also be an issue. I fuel up at the flyin j sometimes at the amoco off of broadway... anywhere else...i can smell the deference in the fuel. I've found that the flyin j truck stops seem to have excellent diesel on a regular basis.

i've got kennedys exhaust...just havent put it in yet so if u want to put our heads together u can email me tswartos at hotmail.com
i think we have a couple other members in the area as well