PDA

View Full Version : Single or dual stats????

Mikey von
01-01-2010, 16:22
Single or dual stats???? I have both set-ups and it seems most folks prefer the single setup. I have no problem with that as the single fits with no mods. I will be running the HO water pump.

Will the single stat housing work with the HO water pump???? I have heard that the bypass blocking single stat can cause cavitation problems with the HO pump. The single stat housing I have is NOT a bypass blocking housing (from what I have been told).

If I run the double stat housing, what all is in the way. The High Idle/Cold Advance is in the way correct? Can this be changed to a manual switch in the cab? Other work arounds? Anything else that would need to be modded???

john8662
01-01-2010, 18:22
It's a royal pain to get a dual stat on a mechanically injected engine.

I'd buy the kit from one the vendors that has the modified throttle bracket and modified outlet on the dual stat housing. Otherwise you're gonna have to do it yourself. In the 6.5 book here on the page it has a how to on this exact situation. The only exception is that you will HAVE to use your throttle bracket with the ROUND throttle hole verses the later SQUARE hole. Look at 'em, you'll figure it out. The cables aren't interchangeable between chassis'.

Kennedy diesel sells this as a kit, probably your best solution.

I think that Peninsular sells the bracket separatly.

You can run the HO water pump with a single stat housing, but it's not recommended. I know those that have done it and gotten away with it. I do truely believe that you should only run the HO pump with the dual stats.