PDA

View Full Version : installing a 6.5 in my cruiser

dohcdelsol93
01-02-2010, 20:13
going diesel in the 86 fj60

getting a 95 GM 6.5

i want to convert it to a manual IP

the engine is coming with all the goodies (turbo, p/s, ac, alt)

will i need any motor electronics (ECU) once i convert the engine over to a manual IP?

DickWells
01-02-2010, 20:54
Unless you are willing to put a lot of work and time into interfacing the TPS with the mechanical throttle cable, you'll need a stand alone computer for the 4L80E. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of the names of people that sell those units, but the info is available right here. Just bear with us for a few days, and Jim, or someone will be on here with the right stuff.
I changed to mechanical in my 95 Sub. 2500, and I love it, but I've always had to live with knowing when to let up on the throttle to up-shift. In addition, I've had to shut down and re-start at times, in order to get it to up-shift at all. I've learned to live with it, but if I ever decide to give it to a grand son or something, I'll have to put in a transmission computer.
You should try to find a 4911 pump, if you can, and also make sure that it's as fresh as possible. Mine was re-built from scratch, with all new components. Cost me $1200. The line fittings are smaller on the mech. pump, but are the same size at the injectors. My pump came with lines complete, but you can get adapters.
There's been a lot of data put out to the DP on just what you are doing, so just have patience and you'll get there.
Oh, there's also a lot to be said for keeping a 6.5 electronic. A lot of the early problems have been well delt with. If you talk to folks like John Kennedy, you'll get a good idea of what you can get out of that engine, while still keeping it electronic, especially emissions wise.
Dick Wells:)

dohcdelsol93
01-02-2010, 23:02
thanks, i think i will stick to the pre computer controlled engines.

I want more power than the 6.2 and i like the serpentine belt system

is there a happy meduim that can be achieved other than rebuilding/turbo charing an old 6.2?

and what year did they make the chance from mechanical to electric (needing an ecm or ecu)

I've been told maybe 92-93 6.5 engines but can't get a confirmation on the cruiser forums.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-03-2010, 00:10
1992/1993 was the years for the mechanical 6.5 diesels. in 94 they brought in the electronics.

it will be a bit of work converting it all, but all the info is on here along with all the help you will need.

welcome to TDP by the way :)

dohcdelsol93
01-03-2010, 16:03
1992/1993 was the years for the mechanical 6.5 diesels. in 94 they brought in the electronics.

it will be a bit of work converting it all, but all the info is on here along with all the help you will need.

welcome to TDP by the way :)

thanks, this is going to be a truely rustic camping/weekend wvo rig so i'm trying to keep as much electronic crap out of it in order to keep it simple.

all the info has helped out alot.