PDA

View Full Version : Stalled,now no start

bobt
01-03-2010, 17:26
MY son has a '98 dually, 6.5td/auto. Couple days ago, my grandson was driving the truck, stopped at a stop sign and the truck stalled and would not restart. They towed it home and started checking things out. They found a pack rat nest under the intake and a broken wire and chewed wire under the intake running to the injection pump(IP). My son repaired the two wires, but it still wouldn't start. There are no codes showing. Further troubleshooting info showed fuel to the injection pump but no fuel to the injectors. Lift pump works. According to my son, there are six wires going to the IP; four from a wiring harness above (red, pink, black, and green) and two under the intake( red and black). With the key in the ON position, the red and black under the intake show 0 volts. From the wiring harness; red-4.8volts; pink-12.2 volts; black-0, and green-0. With the key in START position, the black and red under the intake each show 2.0 volts. From the wiring harness; red-3.0 volts, pink-6.0 volts, black 2.5 volts, and green-2.0 volts. Again, no codes are showing and there is no fuel at the injectors, but there is fuel coming to the IP. Also, batteries will charge full, but are weak. Your help in solving this one will be much appreciated.
Bob

JohnC
01-03-2010, 18:54
Most of those wires are carrying pulsed signals, so voltage readings are not much use.

Diagnostic codes would help, though.

Any chance there are more damaged wires? The ground and the 12 volt line to the shutoff solenoid are critical.

bobt
01-03-2010, 19:03
John, I guess the is always the possibility of more damaged wires. He says what he can see looks OK. He can't really see everything well without removing the intake manifold. Can you tell me which wires are the ground and the 12 volt to the shutoff solenoid? Thanks,
Bob

bobt
01-03-2010, 21:51
John, I Just realized what wires you are referring to on the shutoff solenoid. Saw the article on the ESO in the feature articles section. This will help to see if there is a problem related to the solenoid.
Bob

JohnC
01-04-2010, 11:29
There is a ground in the harness that connects to the PMD that has to be grounded to the pump body.

bobt
01-04-2010, 22:15
OK, further checking. The shutoff solenoid clicks when the key is turned ON, so we figure that it is working. The ground wire to the pump body is there. There is fuel to the IP, but no fuel at the injectors. What else can we check that doesn't involve high tech test equipment,etc. There were no codes the last time he checked. Question: If there is fuel to the IP and the shutoff solenoid is working(opening), will additional cranking ultimately get fuel to the injectors, or is there something else that can stop the flow from the IP to the injectors?
Bob

JohnC
01-05-2010, 09:18
Fuel to the injectors is metered by the fuel solenoid (not the shutoff solenoid) on the back side of the pump. The red and black wires power the solenoid, one cycle for each injection event. There should be a fuel solenoid fuse, although it may have a different name.

If you didn't introduce air into the injection lines, no additional cranking should be necessary.

Check the codes again.

bobt
01-05-2010, 23:01
He got it started tonight. He knew his batteries were somewhat weak, so he hooked up one running vehicle to one battery and another running vehicle to the other battery. It then started. Apparently in the START position, the batteries by themselves weren't strong enough to sufficiently energize the fuel solenoid. He shut it off, retightened the cracked open injector line, and it restarted on the installed batteries that time. New batteries are programmed for tomorrow.
Thanks for your help in searching for a solution to the problem.
Bob

a5150nut
01-06-2010, 18:19
They can sound like they are cranking fast enough. But my 94 has to reach 100rpm cranking before the injection pump will kick in. Not much room for error.