PDA

View Full Version : New FSD mounting ??

96ccdd
10-28-2003, 12:41
I know this has been covered before but I want to make sure I have it right. When mounting the new FSD I remove the transistor plastic coverthrough them away and then pack them full of dielectric grease and install it on the cooler. Do I also use the heat transfer pad supplied with the driver?

ucdavis
10-28-2003, 18:46
you can use the pad w/new FSD; follow the torque spec on the screws (which is fairly tight for #6 screws) cuz the OEM pad is intolerant of loose pressure between FSD & mounting surface for heat flow.
you can also use heat transfer paste on metal-to-metal contact of FSD to cooler (no pad). The high-tech heat transfer guys suggest it isn't a good idea to pack the cavity w/paste FWTW.
Or you can do paste on FSD on pad on paste on cooler (that's what I did, for no particular reason, & it works so far, but I only have a few thou on that setup).
I don't have any idea about removing the plastic transistor covers; maybe it would remove an impediment to heat transfer, but I have no idea if there would be other likely fallout (like maybe opening transistors to easier water or salt attack?).

charliepeterson
10-30-2003, 20:06
I would throw the two plastic covers on the individual drivers away. I also use Blue Loctight on the screws and torque them up. The driver NEEDS good contact to insure the heat is transfered.

StephenA
11-02-2003, 11:45
96ccdd: DO you still have the failed unit? If so, I'd sure like to use it in an R&D program dedicated to repair/upgrade of these things...
See FSD\PMD - BFD thread.
Thanks