PDA

View Full Version : New here, any suggestions?

spoolinstyle
01-07-2010, 10:45
Hello all!

I drive a 97 Chevy 3500. Here's a pic:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/allblackedout/97chevy3500.jpg

I am wondering.... how would you mod this if at all?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

More Power
01-07-2010, 12:50
Welcome to the board!

Nice looking truck too. What (if anything) has been done to the engine so far?

Jim

NutNbutGMC
01-07-2010, 16:33
Nice looking truck. I wouldn't touch it.

Hello all!

I drive a 97 Chevy 3500. Here's a pic:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/allblackedout/97chevy3500.jpg

I am wondering.... how would you mod this if at all?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

tanman_2006
01-07-2010, 18:31
That is a slick looking beast! Welcome!

Guages, 3in downpipe, open up the exhaust 3-4in pipe. That would be a great start. Start searching through the forums if you want to go any further.

Robyn
01-07-2010, 21:21
Welcome to TDP

4 inch exhaust is a good place to start along with a reflash on the Computer and a turbo master.

Exhaust temp and boost gauges are a must if you reflash and do a turbo master.

Good to have you onboard.

Missy

spoolinstyle
01-08-2010, 08:36
Nice looking truck too. What (if anything) has been done to the engine so far?

Stock.....for now:D

Guages, 3in downpipe, open up the exhaust 3-4in pipe. That would be a great start.

I definitely plan on doing something with the exhaust. For gauges, are you recommending the ones that just slip over the factory needles?

4 inch exhaust is a good place to start along with a reflash on the Computer and a turbo master.

Exhaust temp and boost gauges are a must if you reflash and do a turbo master.

I have some experiences with reflashes and tuning. I used to mess around with Hondas back in the day. What is a turbo master? Doesn't sound like your conventional "turbo kit".

Robyn
01-08-2010, 12:24
Gauges

A pyrometer and a Boost gauge as in add on gauges either in a pillar pod or some other extra gauge mounting device

Once you reflash the thing and do other mods you then become the guardian of the engine. (Keeping Exhaust temps in check)

Turbo Master

A very basic spring device that replaces the often troublesome vacuum controls on the existing turbo.

You simply tighten the adjustment to achieve the maximum boost desired

12-13 PSI under hard load.

Exhaust temp at a max of 1000F at the outlet of the LH manifold.

Missy

winemaker
01-11-2010, 06:50
I agree with the mods outlined above and have done them myself: huge difference!

I'm shocked nobody mentioned a remote cooler kit for the PMD.

Maybe you've already learned this from TDP, Spoolin, but the Pump-Mounted Driver (PMD), also called The Fuel Solenoid Driver (FSD) when not mounted on the injection pump, has been the bain of the 6.5 for years.

Mounted on the IP in the hottest part of the engine bay, it heats up excessively and fails. When it fails (and it will) you could be driving along like normal and it's like someone reaches over and turns your key off!

There are numerous accounts all over TDP of wide ranging symptoms, no-starts, etc caused by a failing PMD. The fix is to install a new one on a heat-sink subject to good airflow. You'll need an extension wiring harness as well. There are a few different styles available and a bunch of ways you can mount it. I have a Heath Diesel model (the maker of the Turbo Master mechanical boost control Missy spoke of) mounted in front of my front skid plate. Works well for me.

As I said, I totally agree with the exhaust, Turbo Master, and chip (mine are all Heath Diesel, but you have options, Kennedy and others), but I would argue that the FSD/PMD fix be done 1st as a matter of safety.

By the way, that truck looks wicked!
Cheers
Brett

spoolinstyle
01-11-2010, 10:33
^^ Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check that out. Can't wait to get started!

tanman_2006
01-11-2010, 17:03
I definitely plan on doing something with the exhaust. For gauges, are you recommending the ones that just slip over the factory needles?

No, I meant boost, egt, and if automatic (and you feel like it) trans. temp. Issopro has guages and can be found on Kennedey's site

Mark Rinker
01-13-2010, 06:56
The order of the mods is important:

Exhaust / Gauges
Boost increase / Fuel increase
HD Fan clutch (if you intend to tow in the heat)A new radiator altogether is a cheap investment into a happy 6.5L for its second lease on life.

Would also run a quality engine oil - Mobil Delvac stayed in my 6.5L much better than any other brands. Consumption was half.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-13-2010, 20:46
what kind of rims are those?

john8662
01-13-2010, 21:49
Those are Eagle Alloys, www.aewheel.com (http://www.aewheel.com)