PDA

View Full Version : Allison Filter 07 LBZ

TJNE
01-08-2010, 11:17
I have put about 8k miles on my truck since I bought it and the dealer said it had been changed then. The filter looked new and the fluid did also, I pull a 32ft 5th wheel ocassionaly (maybe 1200 miles last year) The fluid still looks and smells good. My questions are:
How often should I change the filter?
Should I change the fluid everytime I change the filter?
If I change the filter only, how much fluid will come out?

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2010, 12:59
25K miles, every other engine oil change, or any time the need suits you. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, so there's really no reason to not do it often. More often with heavier hauling, less often for light/empty. With your towing miles, I wouldn't recommend any more service than for "light" duty (unless you are hauling 1200 miles up steep hills in 100°+ heat, both ways). I recommend a filter change any time you think/feel the tranny isn't "acting right" as a first step.

No. However, change the filter with every fluid service. The internal filter (traditional filter inside the pan) requires service only at overhaul (according to Allison).

Usually only the amount in the filter, plus some drops. Normally negligible, requiring no adding of fluid. Check the level when it warms up (engine running, tranny in P), in any case.

Mark Rinker
01-08-2010, 16:04
I tow regularly and heavy, during heat or mountainous thrashings ~7qts that drains out the plug + spinon filter at next 10K oil change interval.

Winter, snowplowing, lighter stuff no heat every other or 20K.

Anytime fluid begins to darken or get 'stinky' it ALL comes out. Usually the aformentioned method keeps it pinkyandnotstinky.

Quack_Addict
01-11-2010, 16:41
I replace the spin-on Allison filter every time I replace the fuel filter. Makes life easier that way.

Check transmission fluid level after the filter replacement and make sure to use the proper fluid to top off. Last time I was in the local Car Quest, they INCORRECTLY advised me my Allison is supposed to have Mercon V in it...