PDA

View Full Version : 2009/2010 Chevy 3500HD

TripleKfarms
01-08-2010, 21:03
I'm new to the forum and have a question about 09/10 3500HD. I am currently a Ford guy but I'm very dissatisfied with it. Its an 08, F350 dually with only 15000 miles. I'm a cattle farmer that pulls a 28' gooseneck stock trailer that can weigh 15K+ at times and I also have a 37.5 ft tri-axle 5th wheel camper that weighs 13K dry. That said, does anyone that currently owns a 09/10 3500 HD? I'm interested in buying a new chevy dually and was wondering about pulling power, braking, electronics, weight capacity and of course fuel milage. I don't want to spend the 50K to get a truck like I already have. I sure miss the 7.3L powerstroke.

Thanks in advance! and let the jokes begin, but please also tell me why I need to go to Chevy???

Mark Rinker
01-09-2010, 09:09
WELCOME ABOARD!

The newest Chevy Duramax I have owned is an '06, so I can't speak on all points to the newer models, but suffice to say that the Duramax/Allison combination has proven to be a very powerful and durable combination.

I have over 500K hardcore towing miles criss-crossing the US and Canada on 6 different Duramaxes, and the weights you've described are well within their capabilities. My advice (if you buy) is to use the truck in its stock trim for long enough to appreciate what it provides over a range of operating conditions before spending any money to modify tire size, exhaust, fuel rates, etc. They are pretty good, right out of the box.

Ford stepped on their own dick with the latest Powerstroke. They'll be back in the game, when they can come up with a turbo that will live under 95% load for months on end...right now they are a grenade waiting to happen, IMO.

richp
01-09-2010, 11:05
Hi,

I have well over 100k miles of actual towing a 12,000 pound fifth wheel with two K-2500 standard cab, standard bed Dmax trucks -- the first a 2001, and the second an '09. First truck had 170k or so miles and had just had its second set of injectors when I moved to the new one.

I hear all the attributes of a dually being praised, and I'm sure they are great. But I personally have never felt the need for any more truck than what I have for what I tow.

Fuel economy in the '09 is about 18 unloaded and 10 loaded, with expectable variation for wind, terrain, and speed (I'm usually running 68-70 unloaded and 60-65 towing.) I only have 24k miles on the new truck, and there have been no major issues yet, although I am still fussing around with a pesky power leak that sometimes drains my batteries.

I had the '01 chipped (Edge Juice) but feel no need for extra power with my current truck. The Allison with manual shift on the stick is tremendous!!!!

No overheating problems with the engine itself. The only time I have had any thermal issues was coming down a very very long hill on the west side of Death Valley. The transmission temp rose as I let the Tow/Haul hold it back for about 10 miles of steep constant grade. Settled back down as soon as I got to the bottom.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the truck and its performance. I just wish it had more ground clearance for the occasional off-road stuff I have to handle. Maybe some day GM will make a real work/OR version that doesn't have the dropped frame.

Hope this helps.

TripleKfarms
01-10-2010, 08:14
Thanks for your replies, I spent most of yesterday looking for a truck although no one has any diesels. They found one from me some 500 miles away and I got a price from 2 different dealers. One price not bad, the other was $6K higher. Go figure, but I always hate to shop for a vehicle. Going to another dealer tomorrow, then we will see who gives the best deal.

Bought a 09 Tahoe LTZ this past Labor Day and love it. Actually its my wife's vehicle. Sweet ride.

Looking for 3500 HD, Silver Birch, 4WD, Crew, LTZ.

painthorsemom
01-11-2010, 16:17
Good Hunting, TripleK! I'm on my 2nd GM truck, an '06 2500 Silverado; Duramax with Allison. I love it! I haul a horse to horse shows occaisionally. Truck hardly knows it's got a 2 horse trailer behind it. You'll love the ride, too!

TripleKfarms
01-11-2010, 17:38
Thanks Paint,

I am actually not having much luck. The truck I found in Chicago is actually a demo with 30K on it. Based on that knowledge neither was a good deal. The next closest on is Dallas TX; dealer checking to see if its available but I have not heard yet. I expaned the search to include GMC, but not much out there that is available.

I'll Keep looking.

cowboywildbill
01-11-2010, 18:37
Try Coughlin Automotive, They are the Sponsors of the All American Quarterhorse Congress in Colombus OH. GMC used to be the sponsor before the $$$ problems.Any way they have Chevy and GMC DMax's They might have what your looking for. They are a high volume Dealer. They will also put a B&W hitch or whatever you need in the truck for you. They had some great prices. And I don't work for them or anything like that. They bent over backwards for us to do some warranty stuff on our 07 CC D/Max Dually and we didn't buy it from them. "Great People" They would probably deliver to you. They had a lot of new and used trucks. A lot of people trade in every year or two and they had some great low milage D/Max's last October.
It's worth a try. www.coughlinauto.com or call 1-800-850-1122. Ask for Jason Smith
Good luck.

TripleKfarms
01-11-2010, 20:47
thanks Wildbill,

I give them a try.

cowboywildbill
01-12-2010, 11:04
I looked at thier Website, I only saw one Chevy, but they had several GMC's I like the look of the front of the GMC better than the Chevy. Otherwise they are the exact same trucks.

TripleKfarms
01-12-2010, 18:10
still trying but not having any luck so far. I'm looking for silver or gray. When I find one I like the dealer that has it want give it up. They had rather sell it locally in their area for some reason. I have never had this experience before. Dealers that don't want to sell.

I will find one eventually. I too like the looks of the GMC better.

Mark Rinker
01-14-2010, 07:05
Can only mean that they don't expect to be able to replace that inventory in short order.

Have heard the same thing in the boat industry - orders are coming in, factories taking awhile to tool up and get product out. Yamaha is unable to deliver engines fast enough for demand right now.

Ironic - but good signs for 2010.

TripleKfarms
01-14-2010, 19:33
Yea, I hope it's a good sign for 2010. Nothing yet. I may have to order one but I really don't what the 2nd generation emission diesels with the Urea diesel exhaust fluid. I'm told by the dealers that production has stopped on diesels right now so they can switch over to the DEF for the late 2010 models.

Mark Rinker
01-15-2010, 06:32
Go find a cream puff 2006 from some geezer that used it to go to Yellowstone and back.

Keep it until something better comes along!

More Power
01-15-2010, 10:22
Yea, I hope it's a good sign for 2010. Nothing yet. I may have to order one but I really don't what the 2nd generation emission diesels with the Urea diesel exhaust fluid. I'm told by the dealers that production has stopped on diesels right now so they can switch over to the DEF for the late 2010 models.

Actually, my gut tells me there's something deeper going on than just a simple "switch-over". DMAX stopped producing engines sometime in December (to begin the change-over to the LML), but they aren't planning to begin again till sometime in April. My guess is that they "banked" enough LMM engines and GM banked enough pre-December 31 trucks to fill expected demand through at least April. However, I'm hearing from potential truck buyers that they can't locate a truck.... which would mean demand isn't being met.

The LML will cost more because of urea. GM may be perceiving/expecting some buying resistance because or urea and/or the related cost increases. There's a lot of uncertainty out there...

Jim

TripleKfarms
01-16-2010, 16:48
Still can't find anything. I guess I will start looking for used low milage diesels or just keep what I have even though I'm not happy with the Powerstroke.

Time will tell.

thanks everyone.

WyoDutch
01-22-2010, 09:06
Take a look at Rimrock GMC in Billings,Montana. I bought my 09 3500HD there. I think they have a half dozen or so on the lot.

hapaschold
01-22-2010, 19:10
i ve had 02 06 and now an 09.......

09 is by far the best......

numerous duallies 09 10 in jersey......more 2010s..

saw a post somewhere that used duallies selling for 5 k less than srw.....

maybe find a real low mileage drw truck....