PDA

View Full Version : Pump Question What's the Difference?

TTM
04-22-2005, 06:41
I have a question for you guys, what's the difference between a reconditioned pump and a new one? I had my pump replaced (under warrenty) on my 94 at my local chev dealer three years ago and no problems since.I have a friend with a 95 that was having the same stalling problems so he took his to shop( not the chev dealer) and they put in a reconditioned pump and had to buy a FSD from chev. Everything went back together okay and and the truck is running fine. Another quick question why does Chev have such a problem with these 6.5's. Bad design, bad engineering. Is there a story behind the motor?

Iain
04-22-2005, 08:10
Overall the pump itself is a great design, it is the electronic part (the PMD - little black box on the left side of the pump) that creates all the problems. The PMD (Pump Mounted Driver) creates a lot of heat and in essence reduces the lubricity of the diesel fuel (poor already in today's fuel) which damages the pump and kills the electronics side of the PMD.

If you have had your pump replaced, consider installing an FSD Cooler or other product which will remotely mount the PMD to a cooler spot away from the "intake valley" where the pump is currently located. Everyone has a different suggestion, some mount them on top of the intake, others mount them on fenderwells, behind drivers side headlight, etc. Once the PMD is kept cool and away from the heat from the engine, it will last a lot longer.

I had my pump changed out on warrenty and immediately changed the PMD to a new location. The pump had been changed before I bought the truck and 1 year later it was shot. I have had the PMD remotely mounted for 2 years and have never had another problem.

Iain

TTM
04-22-2005, 08:24
I've been adding an injector cleaner to the fuel every other tank (still on the original injectors 218kms) or so but how would you increase the lubricity of the fuel?

Iain
04-22-2005, 11:31
The low lubricity of todays fuel comes from the low sulphur regulations (better emissions they say). The best way to increase the lubricity is to use a good quality fuel conditioner. I use the Stanadyne "Blue" Performance conditioner. It increases the cetane values a bit (similar to octane in gasoline) and is supposedly one of the better brands out there. I have been talking to a shop here in Calgary that is offering a Canola based fuel conditioner that is supposed to be as good as Stanadyne, just cheaper. It is made in Foam Lake, Saskatchewan (milliganbiotech.com) and is environmentally friendly. I bought a bottle but have not added in any yet till I run this current tank out.
Iain

Dvldog 8793
04-22-2005, 11:58
Howdy
The difference in a New pump and a reconditioned pump is that a NEW one is new. A Reconditioned pump SUPPOSEDLY has had all the bad stuff replaced. However, everything mechanical has a lifespan, unless EVERY part has been replaced and all surfaces x-rayed and checked then I would think that a reconditioned pump is not going to be as good as new or have the life span of new. Personally, I always try to by new parts as I have been left on the roadside by Reconditioned parts. Also there are differnt improved versions of the injection pump and if it is reconditioned then you might not be getting the latest greatest version.
The long story of the Detroit Diesel desinged 6.2/6.5 V8 can be found on this site just do a search. It makes for some good reading if you're into this kinda stuff. Also another thing to remember is that the majority of the people on this site are hear because we have or had some kind of issue with our GM diesel truck. Maybe it was just a lack of desired performance or maybe something real nice like a cracked block! :mad:
If a person was just ready this forrum to decide about buying a diesel truck they would probably think these trucks were terrible because of all the problems we discuss and all the modifications we think HAVE to be done. There are THOUSANDS of 6.2/6.5 trucks out there that have NEVER had a single problem.(mine ain't one of em!)
I use a about 1oz of two stroke motor oil per 10 gallons of fuel every tank along with a mixture of Stanodyne blue and FPPF +8 cetane boost. The two stroke oil is made lubrication and burning in a fuel mixture so I figure it can't hurt!
Hope this helps !
Conley
USMC 87-93

TTM
04-25-2005, 13:58
Thanks guys for the info, I have been lucky with my 94, and ya I heard of all the bad stuff on these trucks when I bought mine...so took a chance bought the truck and joined the DP.... two of the best moves I ever made.