PDA

View Full Version : P400 has do be dressed up! Which parts to choose!

fullsizeBlazer
01-15-2010, 06:40
;)Hi again,

as my fundraising process (selling all the 6.2 stuff & other engine parts I do not need anymore) for the P400 continues quite successfully, I'm now looking for all the other parts that I need to get that engine running!

1. Turbo setup:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5951/35520091030210838.jpg

I already got these mainfolds:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8673/p400intakeset.jpg

Besides the hardware&air cleaner and crossoverpipe I still need a turbo, but I do not know which type I should coose? Should be as simple as possible (not vacuum operated)

2. Injection pump and injectors:

I want to run a 4911 mechanical IP & maybe the Fuel Miser Injectors of SSdieselsupply.com, or should I get the marine injectors? What do you think?

3. Vacuum Pump: I already have a NOS vacuum pump (m1009/m1008 military surplus) which I want to use on the new p400 engine.

4. Water pump:

This dual-thermostat setup is looking fine:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1471/coolingp400.jpg

5.Belt drive: standard V-Belt should be good for me.

6. Injector lines:

These should be good: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-diesel-injector-injection-lines-6-5-6-5L-94-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5635b0d62eQQitemZ370 267969070QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

Well, what else would be good? Maybe a seperate engine oil cooler.

Please feel free to add any comment!

Thanks a lot and greetings !

Flo

DennisG01
01-15-2010, 06:48
You could have the manifolds ceramic coated. I think I paid about about $160 - $200 about 2 years ago. I used Jet-Hot dot com - they are about 20 minutes from home. Maybe they have other stores.

Robyn
01-15-2010, 07:06
I personally would save my $$$$ on the ceramic stuff and spend it on a good serp drive for this beast.

The V belt systems are a royal PITA.

The benefits from a serp drive are many but mainly a smoother operation of the accessories and less vibration.

A serp drive will work on the older style trucks just fine.

Turbo can be controlled with a turbo master or if you go aftermarket turbo, you can even use a non wastegated turbo.

Have fun with the project

Robyn

fullsizeBlazer
01-15-2010, 08:00
well,

maybe it's gonna be a serpentine belt setup too :D what are the advantages of coating the mainfolds?

DennisG01
01-15-2010, 08:08
Well, I'm by no means the most knowledgeable here, but I'll give my 1-1/2 cents. Maybe some day I'll be up to 2 cent status! Before I joined this site, I couldn't get nothin' for my advice! In fact, I usually ended up owing!

The way I understand it is it keeps the heat inside the manifold MUCH better. That helps to drive the turbo better and keeps underhood temps down. I'm going back a few years, but I thought ceramic would decrease the skin temperature of the manifold by about 30 - 40%?

I guess you could also do the turbo housing?

Yukon6.2
01-15-2010, 09:00
Hi
If you bought the cooling package,you will have to run a serpentine belt system to use the high flow water pump,which you will need to use the special fan clutch.The V belt system turns the water pump in the opposite direction than the serp belt.
i'v been wanting to get my manifolds coated but the $$$$ allways runs out.
Looks like you will have some nice stuff to work with/

fullsizeBlazer
01-15-2010, 09:47
Ok guys,

great! serpentine belt setup added to my build! ;)

@concerning the turbo:

-> what about a GM-8 turbo & spring loaded wastegate (turbo master setup)?

More Power
01-15-2010, 10:09
I want to run a 4911 mechanical IP

6. Injector lines:

These should be good: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-diesel-injector-injection-lines-6-5-6-5L-94-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5635b0d62eQQitemZ370 267969070QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

Flo

The injector fuel lines in the above link won't work with a 4911. You'll need 1991-1993 fuel injector lines made to work with a mechanical fuel injection pump.

Jim

Mikey von
01-15-2010, 10:54
Also check more into running the dual thermostat crossover with a mechanical IP. It can be made to fit, but modding is required. I changed my mind on running the dual thermostats on my 6.2l build. I am not sure what it all entails on a 6.5L, but i know my uncle was going to go with the dual thermostat on his 6.5L replant, but decided against it due to need to make mods.

Cannot wait to see this thing put together.

fullsizeBlazer
01-15-2010, 11:33
@More Power:

thanks for the info!! So these should fit I suppose
http://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/68.html

@Mickey:

Which water pump setup then would be best for my application?

Thanks again for all your input!

Greetings

flo

Yukon6.2
01-16-2010, 10:17
Hi
The mods requried to run the dual stats are fairly simple.If you have a welder and grinder you should be able to get er done in a couple of hours.You will have to do some mods on the housing cover that the hose conects to,so some aluminum welding is required.I have done this mod on my 6.2 .I can email some pic's if anyone is interested.

THEFERMANATOR
01-16-2010, 12:59
I know that the latest set-up that it said to work the best is a single T-stat housing with an ACDELCO T-stat, 99.5+ water pump with a spin-on fan clutch, and an HD fan clutch. The 99.5+ water pump has been tested and shown to flow roughly a 40/60 split of coolant through the 2 banks of the engine whereas the older 97-99 high flow pump had roughly a 22/78 split between the 2 which was believed to lead to the cracking problems in the right bank. There was a nice article on this in one of the major diesel magazines(can't remember which one right now). Also it has been said that the single T-stat with bypass blocker works more efficiently than the dual stats since it can block the bypass and push more flow through the radiator. As for the turbo, I would look into a non wastegated version like many are beginning to use now. I've ridden in a 6.5 truck with one of them and it was VERY impressive.

fullsizeBlazer
01-16-2010, 13:12
@Yukon6.2:
hey thanks a lot for your help! pics would be great of course! ;) try imageshack.us, I'm sure there are some more people interested & would like to see them :D

Are there any other things I'll have to pay attention to? As far as I got it, the 4911 pump only was used between 91 - 93... I'd prefer that pump because of the lack of electronics and it is said to be good :D;). How much HP do you think can I expect? around 220 HP should be good, my K5 is quite a light vehicle. (But some more HPs "for free" wouldn't be bad though! :rolleyes:)

Here's what I've learned so far:

1. 4911 Pump & correct Injection lines. OK!
2. Matching water pump & fan setup:
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/6733/waterpumpp400.jpg

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5294/dmaxfanp400.jpg

(or run the dual-T setup with some mod's)
3.Serpentine Belt: OK, you convinced me!

4.Injectors: "Fuel Misers" or Marine??

5.Turbo: GM-8 Turbo & wastegate modification??

:cool: ... ok, so far so good! Hope the sales-campaign I started with my 6.2 Diesel parts is as successful as it promises to be! Can't wait to bolt all these sweet parts on my p400!

More Power
01-16-2010, 13:14
I know that the latest set-up that it said to work the best is a single T-stat housing with an ACDELCO T-stat, 99.5+ water pump with a spin-on fan clutch, and an HD fan clutch. The 99.5+ water pump has been tested and shown to flow roughly a 40/60 split of coolant through the 2 banks of the engine whereas the older 97-99 high flow pump had roughly a 22/78 split between the 2 which was believed to lead to the cracking problems in the right bank. There was a nice article on this in one of the major diesel magazines(can't remember which one right now). Also it has been said that the single T-stat with bypass blocker works more efficiently than the dual stats since it can block the bypass and push more flow through the radiator. As for the turbo, I would look into a non wastegated version like many are beginning to use now. I've ridden in a 6.5 truck with one of them and it was VERY impressive.

I have a cylinder block, a set of heads and one-each of the available water pumps made for the 6.5 (87-gpm, 1997 130-gpm & 1999 130-gpm). I plan to perform a water pump flow test before long that compares the coolant flow rates and flow balance between cylinder banks, as well as the total flow using both a single t-stat and a dual. Testing will be both photographed and video recorded to show the results - so everyone can see the results. In addition, a variety of simulated engine speeds will be used to show whether the flow rate or balance is skewed at different engine RPMs.

I gotta see it to believe it..... ;)

Jim

fullsizeBlazer
01-16-2010, 13:22
@TheFermanator:

Isn't there a so-called A-Team turbo available ?

http://static2.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/1042/files/turbo4.jpg?1238475509

Very impressive! Pricing seems to be OK, but ain't that some kind of overkill :D ... (I think I'll have to get one :rolleyes: )

THEFERMANATOR
01-16-2010, 20:41
That's the turbo I was talking about. I've ridden in TURBINEDOC's truck with one and it was pretty impressive. Not much lag or noticeable smoke and has a very deep rumble to the exhaust unlike my 6.5 had with the GM-4. I didn't post any info on it as I'm not aware of the link policies here.

fullsizeBlazer
01-19-2010, 08:41
Hey guys,

what about the flexplate? I found one of a 6.2, NOS, would be a steal, should fit I suppose, but I'm not sure!

SmithvilleD
01-19-2010, 15:58
I have a cylinder block, a set of heads and one-each of the available water pumps made for the 6.5 (87-gpm, 1997 130-gpm & 1999 130-gpm). I plan to perform a water pump flow test before long that compares the coolant flow rates and flow balance between cylinder banks, as well as the total flow using both a single t-stat and a dual. Testing will be both photographed and video recorded to show the results - so everyone can see the results. In addition, a variety of simulated engine speeds will be used to show whether the flow rate or balance is skewed at different engine RPMs.

I gotta see it to believe it..... ;)

Jim

I agree w/ the measure it to confirm it approach. Believe the article referred to suggested the flow proportion to/thru each bank skewed toward favoring the left bank as rpm climbed past 2500, or something along those lines.

Independently measuring the flow rates actually seen w/ each of the 2 later HO pumps should tell the tale on if the latest pump truly works best, or differently, or not.

I see the waterpump shown on JetBoater's pic of his P400 is the 4 bolt flange, not screw-on type. Does the P400 come w/ a waterpump, or maybe he got it as a longblock & chose the accessories?

Anybody know what waterpump & radiator capacity the P400's going into the latest up-armored, heavy Humvee's?

JetBoater
03-27-2010, 08:34
P400's in the military HMMWV have a larger cooling system. The radiators are 30% larger to assist with higher temperatures developed.

Along with their larger center mount turbo, the power plant develops 250 HP, 550 lb ft of torque.