PDA

View Full Version : oil sprayed pistons??

Phil Holmen
09-03-2003, 14:12
is ther any way to tell if I have the oil spray pistons without removing the pan.??? I have the 506 block installed....

triggerman
09-03-2003, 20:38
Thats a good question, The blocks that use the oil spray pistons use a hi flow oil pump and they all use 5/8ths oilcooler lines instead of the 1/2" of the non spray blocks. The block casting numbers have been talked about here before, but I don't recall how you can tell the good sprayers from the bad ones (97-99). :confused:

rjschoolcraft
09-04-2003, 05:17
The comment about the oil cooler lines is true for OEM applications. However, if the engine has been replaced with a new long block, the old fittings and lines have likely been retained. My engine was replaced under warranty in 2000. I suspect that I have an engine with oil spray pistons but don't know for sure. The dealership that swapped the engines bolted all the original externals (oil cooler lines, etc.) onto the new long block.

The Aussie
09-04-2003, 06:13
I'd be interested to hear more about the oil sprayed pistons. It sounds like you are saying some models are better than others, is this feature considered unsatisfactory??

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-05-2003, 20:21
It's my understanding that when the piston oil spray (to cool the pistons)was introduced, the size and/or location of the oil spray holes may have lent itself (partly) to cracked blocks. I had my engine replaced under warranty in 2001. The new engine came from the new AMG plant which builds these engines with the newer "Enhanced" block. One of several "Enhancements" is the size and location of the oil spray holes. I believe I read this somewhere on the AMG GEP web site. I am certain someone on here can tell you more about the piston oil spray system.

jmp1945
09-06-2003, 09:28
Subman,
Keep a close eye on your brake pads. I had one go away in about 28000 miles! Race car drivers, or their team will rebuild the vehicle next week anyway, so some of the things they use don't matter to them...

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-06-2003, 22:41
Can't remember how I found this site or even who created it. The bottom two pics show the oil spray holes.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/mainous/EnhancedBlkID.htm

Kennedy
09-08-2003, 13:16
I believe that all 506 were spray blocks, at least all that I have seen were,BUT that isn't to say that it has the proper bearing shells to allow oil spray. I've heard of guys using single hole upper shells to block them off.

If it was a GM engine, then I'd say yes, it has spray piston jets.

Another way to tell is where the cooler fittings screw in. 1/2NPT yes, 3/8" NPT no...

Mainous
09-09-2003, 11:54
The quickest way I can think of to tell this woould be your oil pressure gauge. Non-spray engines generally idle (warm) with about 30 lbs. of pressure. Spray engines will idle at about 20lbs. At least this is my experience.

whatnot
09-09-2003, 15:20
What year did they start making the oil-sray piston engines?
It sounds like that is what I put in my 93. It was a N/A 6.5 goodwrench engine and has adaptors to fit the smaller oil cooler lines and only runs about 20 PSi at idle. I thought their was something wrong with it because of the low oil pressure but I guess it is ok by what was posted above.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-09-2003, 18:31
Oh! I realize now where I got that web site with the "Enhanced" block pictures.

"MAINOUS"?

Duh?

Kennedy
09-09-2003, 22:24
I haven't checked mine lately, but I'm sure it is well in excess of 20 psi at idle.

Oil psi is more a function of oil pump volume and bearing clearances. The spray jet engines typically got a larger oil pump.

If I had to guess w/o looking at cooler lines etc, I'd say 506 block yes, and all others no...

rjwest
09-11-2003, 13:07
I have a late 96 with dual thermostats,Factory.
Would this also be a " piston Oil Spray " engine.?.