PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 motor mounts 1990 gmc 2500

abec
01-17-2010, 13:22
So the 6.5 motor i had in my truck went south crack in the #8 cylinder wall only had 60000miles on the rebuild to went to put the 6.2 back in her this weekend and for some reason i can't get the motor mountsto line up looks to be about a 1/2 inch difference in width from motor to motor anyone have any thoughts about this???

NH2112
01-17-2010, 17:07
I know that in either 2WD or 4WD there were 1/4" plates that went between the mounts and block, while in the other style the plates weren't used.

john8662
01-18-2010, 00:44
Phil's onto something here!

Yes, if it's a 4x4, you're really going to have to watch. The cups that mount to the block are different (shallower) because they have a brace bracket that goes behind them for mounting the braces to the aluminum inspection cover on the transmission.

I was putting an engine in my 82 2WD once, got it into the hole and figured out I had the wrong mounts on the engine. Swapped on the known 2WD greasy ones on (why I didn't use them when I had a degresed pair sitting to the side) oops.

J

abec
01-18-2010, 17:26
i took the mounts off the blown motor and put them and the brace brkts on the good motor i see if i can't just perswade the mounts to work with a long pipe

abec
01-19-2010, 23:41
it all fits now just needed a bigger pry bar

NH2112
01-20-2010, 21:33
I had to use a 42" prybar, the cherry picker, AND persuade the bolts through with a hammer when I did my last engine swap.

oilburnertoo
01-21-2010, 05:31
I ran into that problem once using a 6.2 motor out of a van, the engine mount bracket on the left side was different, wouldn't line up at all. Fought with it for about 1/2 hour and finally pulled the engine back out and compared the brackets , thats when I found the difference in the drivers side bracket. No way was it going to line up. Good luck with your project.

john8662
01-21-2010, 07:35
On possible solution (although not real easy) is to attach the engine mounts to the cups on the engine before installing. This way you get the engine in the chassis and can install the three bolts that hold the mount to the frame/perch and realign them. Not real easy, but if the mounts have been replaced with the engine out and they've moved some during the replacement from where the originals were, this is probably the only way to truely get them lined back up.

I must have gotten really lucky this weekend, cause in installed a 6.5 in my K3500 Dually. Besides haging up on the flexplate for some reason on the back (which i was able to carefully persuade) the mounts lined right up where all I had to do was slide the mount bolt in by hand (easily slide). Something must be wrong if it was that easy, time will tell...