PDA

View Full Version : Intercoolers

Bill Siver
09-14-2005, 19:12
I was just wondering if anyone has done an air to water intercooler in their truck. They are more compact, and generally better at cooling an intake charge.

GM never offered an intercooler on these trucks, right?

Thanks,

Bill

ejk2352
09-14-2005, 19:29
Originally posted by Bill Siver:
I was just wondering if anyone has done an air to water intercooler in their truck. They are more compact, and generally better at cooling an intake charge.

GM never offered an intercooler on these trucks, right?

Thanks,

Bill I heard rumors that Bill Heath has one built for the 6.5. He is testing it and wants to make it a simple driveway/shadetree mechanic type install. Was told to look for a release some time next year. GM totally dropped the ball as they never offered an type of intercooler for the 6.5.

I can't wait for the release of Heaths intercooler, as I really don't want to hack up my core support to try to fit an air to air intercooler in there.

DA BIG ONE
09-15-2005, 01:53
Here is a link to one of the better suppliers of IC cores, have fun;
http://www.bellintercoolers.com/Pages/about.asp

rjschoolcraft
09-15-2005, 02:11
Check out Pannhead's setup described in this thread. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004715)

Dvldog 8793
09-15-2005, 03:49
Howdy
I did allot of research on the O2-H2O IC. The good part is that water conducts heat away from the charge faster than air does. The bad part is that it is just as difficult to remove the heat from the water source. Once the coolant is heat soaked you need a large source or a large radiator for cooling. If you just use the coolant system of the vehicle then you need to increase capacity significantly(already a bad area for our 6.5) also this could be come an air charge heater. Marine Diesels use this type of IC very effectivly because they have an UNLIMITED coolant supply. The system that I was going to use would flow about 800CFM and had a small radiator/fan mounted in the front passenger side of the inner-box area. It also had a 12 gallon system capacity with a resivoir in my toolbox. After it was all said and done the system cost more than JKs air-air. Probably was alittle bit overkill but if you are making something from the ground up than why would you only make it "good-enough-to-get-by" :D
Hope this helps!
Panhead was also a good source of info
L8 r
Conley Janssen

Kennedy
09-15-2005, 04:41
Just keep plenty of ice cubes in the freezer in the camper! :D

Seriously though, I don't know how much better than 30