PDA

View Full Version : Engine revs right up then immediately stalls

Nobby
01-22-2010, 10:38
So my truck last night whilst driving revved right up then stalled. Kind of alarming as she dropped down a gear and charged towards the car in front! Try to start it and it revs up then stalls. I found one other case on this where the PMD was changed with no result which was prophesised to be a bad IP, broken Fuel solenoid armature there was no feedback result.

Called my pump rebuild shop described my symptoms and his response immediately and rather emphatically was bad IP due to the FS armature and not to waste my time changing out PMD's or troubleshooting etc.

Lift Pump checks out OK,
Do have a code P1216 which is Fuel Solenoid response time to short, the only relevant check in the diagnostic is to check the closure ground circuit for and open, this goes between the PCM and the PMD wiring visually looks OK.

Hmm not liking the sounds of this, I'll throw a new PMD on it just in case but my gut is telling me otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nobby

john8662
01-22-2010, 12:01
75% of the time I'd wager it's the pump, as you described. The other 25% would be the PMD or other issues.

Swapping out the PMD isn't a bad idea, if it isn't the problem, you then have a spare for your replacement pump. This would be for emergency use of course.

J

JohnC
01-22-2010, 12:57
Unplug the pmd and try to start it. If it revs up and stalls, the pump is bad. If it doesn't start it proves nothing...

The stall is the fuel shutoff solenoid saving the bacon...

Nobby
01-22-2010, 13:19
Thanks for the input gentleman, seems as though my gut was a wee bit off.

New PMD and she is behaving herself again. Seems then that my PMD failure was instantaneous and prior to this she hadn't missed a beat and a wintertime failure to boot engine was not even really warmed up. Makes me wonder with regards to potting and screws etc if cold contractual forces play a role in this also

Now there's a way to get you to finally install that remote mount that you have had stored under the drivers seat for the last 2 years.

John interesting point for checking the pump with these style symptoms if I did not have a PMD, it was thought that the shutdown solenoid could kick in based on a high rpm situation.

Cheers
Nobby