PDA

View Full Version : 2 Suburbans to make 1

coxfmly
01-22-2010, 22:47
Hello again,
I currently have 2 suburbans which i would like to blend into 1. My daily driver was an 84 with a Banks 6.2 and T400. It has 160K and ran great until I blew a head gasket. The overall condition is good so I would like to keep it on the road.
My other Sub is VERY rough except for the drive train. It has a factory rebuilt N/A 6.5 and a rebuilt 700R4. It has under 10K, runs great but the body is trashed. I would need to replace it if i wanted to keep it on the road. I would like to place the 6.5 and 700R4 into my other sub and install the banks sytem on it.
It looks like the 2 intake manifolds are a little different, The 6.5 has a fuel filter on the back of it and I think my 6.2 is non EGR without the filter. Should I run the 6.5 as is or should I use the 6.2 manifold?
If the 6.5 will work "as is" with the Banks system installed then I'm good to go. I just want to make sure the 6.5 is ready before I install it into my 84 and would like to make any mods now.

Thanks.....

john8662
01-25-2010, 12:04
Let's keep it simple.

Pull the 6.5 and strip it, manifolds and all. Sounds like it was "Adapted" into the other suburban, some original parts from the 6.2, and some from a 6.5 application for another body style.

Pull your intake, fuel system (you can leave the IP on the 6.5 if it's better), manifolds, etc off the 6.2 and plant them on the 6.5 longblock.

This way all you gotta do when getting parts is say you've got an 84 6.2L diesel and you need a.. Fuel Filter, etc.

No use in making a frankenstein unless you have to or you really get a benefit in doing so.

coxfmly
01-27-2010, 17:47
John,
so what your saying is to create a long block out of the 6.5 and use all of my 6.2 parts.
That does sound like the easiest way and I will have a history of all of the 6.2 items.

I have a realatively new IP but how will i know if the 6.5 is better, same or worse? if i use the 6.2 IP would i have issues with the injectors on the 6.5 long block? i have read a few things about fuel lines and certain bends??

thanks for all of your help, Paul

coxfmly
01-27-2010, 17:59
John,
the donor vehicle was a factory diesel sub with a 6.2 and 700r4. it was a conversion with moon roofs, wood grain and over stuffed interior seats. Its 6.2 was replaced with the factory 6.5 and then left in a field. they tried to start it with starter fluid and blew all of the glow plugs :(

So what your saying is to create a long block out of the 6.5 and use all of my 6.2 parts.

I have a realatively new IP but how will i know if the 6.5 is better, same or worse? if i use the 6.2 IP would i have issues with the injectors on the 6.5 long block? i have read a few things about fuel lines and certain bends??

thanks for all of your help, Paul

john8662
01-27-2010, 22:25
Yeah, longblock.

The lines might be an issue, you'll have both sets to compare. My bet is that the ones on the 6.5 are off the old 6.2 and just tweaked, but maybe not.

I just know the angle is different, I haven't tried making the lines from different styles fit. I had managed to find sets that would work.

Try it and let us know.

I don't think you can blow out glows with starter fluid.

I'd start this engine in the donor and check it out before wasting the time pulling and planting to make sure it's ok.

coxfmly
01-30-2010, 00:06
I will try both sets, one should work.
As far as the donor vehicle, it runs great. when it was towed from the field the back was filled with empty starter fluid cans. all of the glow plugs were blown and had to be fished out of each cyl after the injectors were pulled. once a new set was installed it fired right up. always assumed it was the started fluid but i could be wrong. only thing for sure is that the engine was brand new. im really interested to see the difference between my 6.2 and 6.5 once i put the Banks on it. the 6.5 N/A really moves out but that could be the 700r4 vs a T400.

Thanks again...