PDA

View Full Version : Best year for the 6.2 need donor truck

dieselandmud
01-26-2010, 09:38
Hello,
I currently have a 86' K10 Silverado short wheel base, 94K original miles, 4x4, 3.73 14bff, 8 lug 10 bolt front, 305, 700R4, NP208. It is not my daily driver. I have owned this truck for eight years. Pulls a 3500lb bumper hitch trailer 70% of the time. In the summer it is driven 4 out of 7 days a week. The current 305 is weak, gets really bad gas mileage, burns a quart of oil a week.
Before the 305 gives out completely I would like to find a NA 6.2 donor truck. Don't have any plans of dropping in the used motor from the donor truck, just need the stuff to hook up the new engine. No plans of adding a turbo. I will buy a rebuilt engine most likely from one of the vendors here on this forum.
I've been searching thru pages and pages of old post but I can not figure out the ideal year. From what I have read I need a "J" code motor with non-EGR manifold? A 6.5 is also an option as long as I don't have to have a computer to run it and be NA.
Thanks
Chris

john8662
01-26-2010, 11:58
Welcome!

Yes, I'd highly recommend a donor truck for this. Don't sweat the J code intake part as you can find this separarly nearing completion of the transplant.

Any 6.2 build will work, or a 6.5 engine can also be made to work.

The 6.5 can be installed into a 6.2L application easily, well, with some fuel injection lines to account for the different injector angle in the heads. If you opt for 6.5 heads on a 6.2 you will also encounter this issue. By fuel injection lines, I do mean for a mechanically injected 6.5. With the exception of the lines everything else bolts up fine.

A 6.2 engine would probably be preferred and less expensive, but not manditory.

craigrep
01-26-2010, 16:22
You said you'll be towing 3500lbs 70% of the time, you may want to consider a turbo. My truck only has 3.42 rear and I notice my 900lbs trailer (empty) with like 6 yards of mulch loaded it feels like I'm driving with the emergency brake on.

dieselandmud
01-26-2010, 20:45
You said you'll be towing 3500lbs 70% of the time, you may want to consider a turbo. My truck only has 3.42 rear and I notice my 900lbs trailer (empty) with like 6 yards of mulch loaded it feels like I'm driving with the emergency brake on.

The 305 that is in it now is a slug. I got on the interstate once or twice with the trailer and top speed is only 65mph on the flats. Pulling the trailer will only be around town with top speed of 45mph. I will try a NA 6.2/6.5 first, then upgrade as needed.

dieselandmud
01-26-2010, 20:52
Welcome!

Yes, I'd highly recommend a donor truck for this. Don't sweat the J code intake part as you can find this separarly nearing completion of the transplant.

Any 6.2 build will work, or a 6.5 engine can also be made to work.

The 6.5 can be installed into a 6.2L application easily, well, with some fuel injection lines to account for the different injector angle in the heads. If you opt for 6.5 heads on a 6.2 you will also encounter this issue. By fuel injection lines, I do mean for a mechanically injected 6.5. With the exception of the lines everything else bolts up fine.

A 6.2 engine would probably be preferred and less expensive, but not manditory.
Is there any good write ups on transplants done here on the forum?

More Power
01-27-2010, 13:10
The 305 that is in it now is a slug. I got on the interstate once or twice with the trailer and top speed is only 65mph on the flats. Pulling the trailer will only be around town with top speed of 45mph. I will try a NA 6.2/6.5 first, then upgrade as needed.

The first 6.2L diesels were intended to provide reasonably comparable performance to the smogged 305 gas v-8, but with up to twice the fuel economy. Your description of towing performance with your current 305 is roughly what you'll see with a non-turbo 6.2/6.5. A turbocharger will (should) help the 6.2/6.5 produce towing performance similar to a stock carbureted 454 of the early 1980's. Another way to gauge the performance improvement a turbo makes is - a turbo will provide about the same level of performance in 3rd gear that the same engine produces in 2nd gear without a turbo.

We have a Conversion forum that might help answer your questions.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Jim