PDA

View Full Version : Tips from the old schoolers - New to diesels here

shouldaboughtachevy
01-28-2010, 18:57
Ok, so I just picked up my first diesel. 2004 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax. While I know my way around a gas motor, I hate to admit that I'm a little intimidated with the diesel.

Basically, I'm just looking for any and all advice, tips, tricks, general knowledge from the guys who know their way around the Duramax. Specific things the Duramax might be prone to, general preventative maintenance, and stuff that the typical gas motor owner wouldn't know.

Like I said, I have basically no experience with diesels, so anything is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Justin

Also, if I posted in the wrong area, sorry. I'm new to the forums also :D

Mark Rinker
01-29-2010, 06:00
Welcome! You have arrived at the right place, with the right questions!

You'll find a wealth of information on your truck by digging around here. I would highly suggest taking the time to become a DP member, and read all the articles that have been written since the Duramax was introduced in 2001 in the Members Area. Searching here in the Forums will get you lots of opinions, situations, and Q&A, but the articles in the Member's Area are 'gospel', and will provide a solid understanding of the Duramax powerplant.

https://thedieselpage.com/form.htm

Your 2004 has some improvements from the 'early years', and may be either an 'LB7' or 'LLY' version, depending when it came off the assembly line. Knowing which engine you have, and how they differ is important. What is the 8th digit of your VIN? If its a 1, you have an LB7. If its a 2, an LLY...

shouldaboughtachevy
01-29-2010, 07:45
It's an LLY! I wasn't previously sure how to tell the difference, thanks man!

Mark Rinker
01-29-2010, 11:11
Armed with that information, you can find out alot about your truck on here. My next thoughts, in no particular order:

Investigate fluid service history, change anything that is unknown or overdue. Main concern at your stated mileage would be rear end, transfer case, transmission, front end. All synthetics are the way to go IMO - read your owner's manual for details.
Warranty repair history can be pulled up at any dealership. See what has been done, what campaigns are outstanding.
If batteries are stock, they are approaching the end of their service life. You might have them load tested and be prepared for a new set before HOT summer weather sets in. OEM Delcos are good batteries. Optima RedTops look cool and seem to hold up well to underhood heat.How do you intend to use your new truck?

shouldaboughtachevy
01-30-2010, 06:59
It's going to be my work truck. I work in the oil field, way up in the mountains. For the most part that just means it'll see a lot of dirt roads and hills without any kind of load. But here and there I need haul things short distances between job sites, usually 10-20 miles at a time maximum. But it's always up and down steep grades, so that's what makes a little hard on the truck. Weight varies depending on the job, anywhere from little light plant generators to larger well-head heaters, to trailers and heavy equipment. But like I said, any serious hauling is pretty few and far between.

And thanks for all your help, Mark! I'll look into that stuff.

shouldaboughtachevy
01-31-2010, 06:40
Alright so, I went down to the dealer today to pull the warranty info. Only a few things showed, all cosmetic (rip in leather int., etc) except one thing. I don't have the papers with me here at work, but I believe it was called something like "turbo air intake duct". Sound familiar? :D I'm not experienced with turbos either, so I've got A LOT to learn with this one.

Either way, that was replaced around 20K, and the last thing replaced under warranty was just over 24K.

So my question is this, is it possible the owner had zero problems with it for another 50K miles, or would you think the owner simple stopped keeping up with the maintenance and made repairs himself?

Also, it already has a gooseneck hitch installed, so I can assume it was used to haul something. So are there specific things I should be looking out for in the motor assuming the maintenance wasn't kept up and it hauled regularly?

Also, trans fluid looks really good, clean, doesn't smell burnt. Motor oil looks good. Diff fluids don't look bad, but don't look like they've ever been changed. No metal shaving whatsoever though. I think I'll probably go through all of it though on my next days off.

Thanks again for all your help

Justin