PDA

View Full Version : IDEAS ON REMOVING JK 'S DOWNPIPE FOR GLOWPLUG INSTALL

moedog
12-23-2004, 16:26
GOT SIX GLOWPLUGS INSTALLED. NOT BAD. LAST 2 GLOWPLUGS ARE HIDDEN BY JOHN KENNEDYS DOWNPIPE. EXHAUST HAS BEEN ON TRUCK FOR APPX.2 YEARS AND I KNOW ITS NOT GOING TO JUST SLIDE OUT OF JOINTS. ANY SUGGESTIONNS ON HOW WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THE DOWNPIPE WITHOUT CUTTING JOHNS NICE 3.5 INCH SYSTEM WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED. WOULDNT YOU KNOW THESE LAST 2 ARE THE ONES THAT FAILED. I LOOSENED THE BAND CLAMP AT TURBO BUT IT DIDNT RELEASE??? OH WELL SUCH IS MY MECHANIC ABILITY
THANKS
DAN

Uncle Wally
12-23-2004, 16:49
I've had John's exhaust on my truck for over a year now (in Minnesota's wonderful land of ice and salt) and it still comes apart fairly easily. Especially of you used the installed clamps with his system and not the traditional u-bolts. I have a 4dr dually so there's a piece that goes between the down pipe and the main section before the muffler. Just pop the band clamps loose on each end, wiggle it towards the front, and you should be able to get both sections out.

Waldo

DennisG01
12-23-2004, 18:09
Are you saying the band clamp at the turbo didn't release, or the downpipe itself? When I took off my stock system (was on for 5 years), I came upon the problem of the bandclamp not coming right off. To get it off, I loosened the clamp up enough to unhook the latch, then used a screwdriver to work/pry the band clamp off as it was "sticking" to the downpipe and turbo. I think I may have used a rubber mallet on the downpipe itself (from underneath the truck) for some LIGHT persuading. I just tapped the pipe from side to side and front to back. It ended up coming off rather easily.

john8662
12-23-2004, 20:16
First, if you haven't already done so, remove the rubber flap in the inner fender to get better access to that side of the engine. The take Dennis' advice and carefully pry the clamp off the turbo/downpipe. I found it wasn't necessary to remove the downpipe from the truck, But just lower it enough and move it away from the engine to get access to the #6 and #8 plugs. Then disconnect the plug extension wires from the harness (goog luck getting them off the plug itself), Then remove the tube shields surrounding the plugs (with the wires still attached). Then you will have the room to persuade the plug connectors to come off.

Turbine Doc
12-24-2004, 06:41
Dan,
If you haven't gotten it off yet try some PB Blaster, then as best you can use some 3/8" extensions as a drift and lightly tap around the back side of the Mormon clamp, generally these clamps spring loose on front edge by the T bolt and hang up in the back.

We use very similar clamps in jet world, heat tends to make them grab on the side opposite of the bolt, a wide blade screwdiver and some light persuading finesse ;) also is necessary from time to time, if the extensions don't break the tension.

Kennedy
12-24-2004, 07:21
The V clamp at the turbo will gall/bite itself on. You'll need to pry it open.

The band clamp below should allow you to split the system if need be. You may be able to just move the system rearward to access #6.

Plug #8 is accessible from above with exhaust intact. I also found thet with the tin tubes out, I can get #6 w/o pulling the downpipe.

gerry1
12-24-2004, 23:31
On my 94 I always remove the fender well when working on the pass. side. I have been able to pull all glow plugs without removing JK's downpipe.
Yea its quite a few bolts and a lit bit of wrestling to get the fender well out, but it shure makes things a lot easier once its out of the way.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-25-2004, 18:21
Same here. Just remove the fender well. Some 15 bolts and one battery. It may sound like more work, but you'll spend less time removing and reinstalling the inner fender than you will spend monkeying around trying to find a way around it. Doing this helps with turbo swaps, too.

MikeC
12-26-2004, 10:03
I swapped out my glow plugs without taking my JK exhaust apart. Problem was pulling the heads made it a little more expensive :D

Seasons Greetings

Mike

moedog
12-26-2004, 16:15
THATS A GOOD ONE. IVE GOT ALL MY CUMMINS CONVERSION PARTS AND NEXT MAJOR ANYTHING WILL BE SAYING BYE BYE TO THE 6.5 AND WELCOME TO MY 5.9 CUMMINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!