PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

goneriding
01-29-2010, 06:29
2005 Duramax....Engine runs at low temp after about 20 minutes it spikes to 210-220 for about 30 seconds. Then runs at about 190-200. Never overheats but pukes antifreeze out of the overflow. Would this be a thermostat sticking or could it be something else?

Replaced thermostats and it was fine for awhile. Yesterday it did it again but the spill wasn't as much. Low coolant light comes on. The exhaust pipes are clean, cap is tight, hoses are good. There aren't any leaks anywhere. It runs great. Also, I was wondering because she sat outside for 8 hours without a grill cover on and the wind chills were below 0, would this affect how the thermostats work?

Thank you

Mark Rinker
01-29-2010, 07:37
Sounds like a head gasket.

goneriding
01-30-2010, 14:31
It still is under warranty until April. We are going to take it in...Less than 50,000 miles and the rear brakes were shot (rotors were roached) which we replaced ourself and now this....:rolleyes:

Kennedy
02-01-2010, 14:44
I still haven't figured out how people are killing their brakes. I've towed some mighty heavy loads and I definitely have the power to get them rolling and keep them rolling.

JohnC
02-01-2010, 20:24
I still haven't figured out how people are killing their brakes.

My guess is salt and light usage. Mine were shot after 45,000 and 4 years.

tx dave
02-02-2010, 11:40
I have 240K on my 01. Still have original brakes, they look like they will go another 100K to me. I pull a 34' 5'er and a 24' horse trailer. I guess some of us just need to learn how to use the things.

JohnC
02-02-2010, 11:42
I guess some of us just need to learn how to use the things.

I know *how* to use them, just that running around empty all the time I don't get much opportunity *to* use them. Maybe I need to do more drag strip starts and slam on the brakes for every stoplight. :mad:

Oh, yeah, how much salt do they use on the roads down your way? Up here it's about 1 inch for every 6 inches of snowfall. (and only a fool would work the brakes hard in a snowstorm!)

MacDR50
02-02-2010, 13:58
Back to thermostats. Agree, sounds like a head gasket. Had a Chrysler car back in the 70's that did the same thing except the anti-freeze went on the pavement and then the damn thing would overheat.

Back to brakes - road salt mixed with sand like they use here destroys rotors and pads both directly and by making the calipers stick. Park for a day and rust forms on the rotors around the edges of the pads. This causes uneven wear and overheating which can then result in warped rotors. So far good on my 2008 2500. My motorhome which had less than 24k kilometers had warped rotors after the second season. Most of my driving is stop and go in a city and yes complete stops are necessary. Hard on brakes and mileage too. Of course my sample of one doesn't qualify me as an expert on the subject.

tx dave
02-03-2010, 10:52
Sorry about the querkey response, Didn't mean to P--- anyone off. If it gets below 40F here in central Texas we think its cold. Having never lived way up there in cold country I guess I kind of forgot about ya'lls extreme conditions. Please accept my humble apolige.:confused:

About the coolant, I had the same issues over a 2 year period. After trying everything possible, it ended up being head gaskets but think to the dealerships many screw ups I now have a different motor in my 01 but I live this truck and will have it forever or the first wreck/:eek:

n5lfh
05-06-2010, 00:44
I have been discussing this same issue...see my posts, but I'm still having problems.