PDA

View Full Version : The older 2 Filter setup?

Low_Bridge
01-31-2010, 06:51
The 2 filter system in My 82 Blazer has been a very easy maintenance item-

Question -

I have an extra set up-

Would this system feed my 94 6.5 TD Suburban if I adapt it??
OR I would Experience what potential / problems?

While on this subject of where to use the old 2 stage. I originally picked them up for the 84 Van as a replacement would it be OK to use there to get rid of the leaky square box?

Thanks All!

Robyn
01-31-2010, 07:06
Gm's move to discontinue the 2 filter system was IMHO not because it was bad or troublesome, but instead costly to install.

The newer filters are certainly not as good.

The older 82 system will work fine on your rig/rigs

The old system had the water seperator and prefilter (higher micron rating) and then the second stage unit with the smaller micron rating before sending the fuel to the engine.

Manufactures rarely discontinue things because they are not good, but instead replace a good thing with something that is less expensive to install.

This is not always the case but in the case in point, most certainly.

The little dixie cup fuel manager on the 94 is a joke.

I installed a medium sized Racor on my 95 dually to replace a leaky stock fuel manager.

Being able to see any water in the system at a glance is a plus.

Have fun

Missy

More Power
01-31-2010, 16:08
My 1982 GMC was equipped with the dual filter setup when I bought it and it still had it when I sold the truck. I did not like it. The primary was easy to replace, but there was no way to bleed the air - it was located in-line between the fuel tank and the lift pump. Had to pre-fill it, and hope for the best. The smaller secondary fuel filter was located between the lift pump and the injection pump, but it could only be changed if you also had a set of flare-nut wrenches, because the filter housing had to be removed from the intake manifold before you could spin on a new filter element. Of course, the flare nuts were rounded off when I got the truck. If I'd known then what I learned later, I would have installed a newer and easier to service single fuel filter system.

I know of a few members who installed the inexpensive and readily available factory 6.5 Fuel Manager fuel filter assy (i.e. like new take-off units from Peninsular) on their 1982-83 6.2. Works fine, and the earlier DB2 is more tolerant of differences in fuel quality than the electronic DS pumps. The fuel manager assy has both an air-bleed and water drain valve, a fuel heater and a Water in Fuel sensor. Replacement filter elements are also widely available.

Jim

NH2112
01-31-2010, 19:52
What I did when I swapped a '99 6.5l TD into my '85 C1500 was use the Stanadyne Model 80 from the '85 as the primary filter (mounted underneath the snorkel on the radiator support), and install a Racor 445R w/2-micron element as the secondary. It has a plunger-type primer pump so cranking the starter to bleed is a thing of the past, and by opening the bowl drain and pumping the plunger you can drain fuel to check for contamination. I didn't bother with the fuel heater or WIF sensor options. The primary had a drain hose hanging down to about bumper level and was replaced every 3rd oil change (about 10K), and the secondary was replaced every 3rd primary.

Low_Bridge
01-31-2010, 20:22
Tonight, on the 82 Blazer, I just redid the IP line to secondary filter & the line to the Primary from the fuel pump (they were sweating & dripping) - I feared for Air lock through out the process but purged burped & bled & even eye dropper-ed - & voila started right up I was quite surprised.

Yes this is literally the first time my secondary has been replaced. :eek:

The primary has a bleeder valve on the top so it's always easy to purge up to their & it's mounted next to the ac box on the fire wall & yes the out line on the secondary takes a custom fit vise gripe but to my surprise sealed up fine-

Now the mechanical fuel pump started to leak I guess I'm making all the weak links rise to the occasion- It does have a little inline electric that has been there from day one- I'll just order another mechanical Monday I guess-

So unless It would be detrimental - the 2 system like the Blazer is tempting- for the 6.5 Right now I have all parts & filters in house-

At the rate things are breaking around here every c note saved is being considered- Maybe I'll get lucky & I'll skate temporarily with a o ring repair or something on the 6.5

You'll know I appreciate your input!