PDA

View Full Version : CV driveline for the 89 Blazer

Robyn
01-31-2010, 09:26
The 89 Blazer is a sweet little truck but the combination of short wheel base and the lift kit just makes driveline angles problematic at best.

When I got the truck it vibrated real bad. Replacing the U joints and lowering the rear of the T case about an inch give or take helped a bunch but still its not perfect.

Spoke to Dmax Maverick a while ago about this issue and he suggested the CV shaft from a mid 60's to 70 Caddy Land barge.

I put an ad on Craigs list and was rewarded with a response within a day or two.

Yesterday I drove over to see the fellow and within a short time he presented me with the front slip yoke and CV joint and about 10 inches of burned off drive shaft.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet, The same slip yoke size and spline size and count as the Blazer shaft.
The caddy unit will fit the Blazer shaft tube size too.

All this joy for $5 Yup five bucks.

The slip tube was a bit rusty but will pollish up ok.

Tossed the beast in the lathe last night and got it running true between the chuck and a live center in the tail stock.
Proceeded to cut off the nasty piece of old tube.

Now I just have to do a little figuring on finished length and then chop the Old Blazer shaft off and weld on the CV joint assembly.

I cant get the shaft in my lathe (bed too short) so I will have to rig up a set of rollers and so on to allow me to indicate the assembly to keep everything true and concentric.

With a little messsing around this should end up as a great fix.

Will post some piccy's later on.

Big boys over town want a fortune for CV assembly and a second fortune to make the shaft up.

First issue was the fellow telling me that I can't do this. ???? :rolleyes:

Not a great plan to tell missy that she can't do something.

Thanks Maverick for the heads up on the Caddy parts. :)

Robyn