PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Syetem Problem

ewales
01-31-2010, 17:54
I have an 04.5 Vin 2 LLY with a very odd cooling system issue that I believe may be a head gasket problem.
Here is the scenario, when 1st taking off in the morning you can drive for 3 or 4 KM's and as you drive you can feel the in cab temperature climb, about this time the air in the cab starts blowing cold, and you can see the temp. gauge go down, this lasts about 4-6 KM's and then the heat starts to come back up as well as the gauge. It appears to act completely normal after that, if the truck is left for a couple of hours or so and then driven again, no problem acts normal. The T-Stats have been replaced with GM ones, the water pump has been changed and the surge tank cap replaced. This truck will do this everyday without fail. I have installed clear lines all over the place and there always seems to be air in the system, at times you can see no fluid flow into the heater core.

Sorry about the long post, but this truck is really driving me nuts.

9365turbo
02-01-2010, 06:10
That sounds alot like my trucks problem. Search other post's. You will find your not alone. I'm going to start taking my truck apart this afternoon. I believe my head gaskets are leaking also. I have 02 D-max

Kennedy
02-01-2010, 14:34
Unfortunately it does sound like a head gasket issue. It seemed the 2001's were the mmost common to have this issue, but now the LLY's are coming on strong. Many of the guys that I have talked to had big chips in their trucks so it is kind of understandable, but quite a few are relatively mild or even stock.

We've been stocking the C grade gaskets as well as bolts, studs, and thermostats.