PDA

View Full Version : Truck rattles more than "Normal"

tanman_2006
02-01-2010, 21:29
My 95 chevy is rattling/almost knocking and it is getting louder. My IP is going south (new one in the mail), My injectors have 132K on them as well as the rest of the engine.

I have heard that the injectors can cause a loud rattling noise when bad. Could that be my problem?

I have also heard that bad lifters can cause a knock/rattle (lifter knock). What are the chances of that lifters go south?

Is there a chance that a new IP could solve the prob?

Does anyone have any video w/ audio that I can use to compare?

tanman_2006
02-03-2010, 10:28
Any Ideas? It is annoying while ideling.

john8662
02-03-2010, 12:34
Is there a miss associated with the knock? How well does it run otherwise.

Some common places for a knock sound are from injector lines touching things, like the heater hose connection for example.

You'll also want to check the damper pulley on the front of the engine. A good test for this will be to remove the serpentine belt completly, then start the engine, if the knock goes away it's very possible it's here.

A sticking or stuck injector will certainly cause a knock, to diagnose this you'll need to have the engine running and loosen the injector line nut on at the injector, enough where it will leak, which will cause that cylinder to misfire. If the knock goes away on any specific hole, investigate there.

tanman_2006
02-03-2010, 13:52
No it doesn't miss, doesn't smoke on start up, runs good when warm. When I put it in gear just over 100* and start moving it does poor out white smoke until over 180*. No loss in performance that can't be blamed on the IP, still gets in the 18mpg range @60-65 95% highway.

The truck doesn't always knock so a sticking injector sounds likely. The knock has recently gotten louder and more frequent though. Planning on getting new injectors soon anyways.

I will check the damper, just to make sure but the knock seems to be coming from the head area.

Where are the rubber spacers for the injector lines located? Can I get to them outside of the Intake manifold?

tanman_2006
02-04-2010, 08:56
I'm not worried about the white smoke at the moment, its been in the 20*s here lately so I can blame it on the cold for now.

When I put it in gear just over 160* mark and start moving it does poor out white smoke until over 180*.

Truck starts pretty easy at 25* w/o being pluged in.

I'm still going to check my damper a soon as I can.

jerry598
02-06-2010, 10:34
After checking all of the simpler stuff I would bet you have some bad injectors next. With that many miles on your injectors its time to replace them anyway.

tanman_2006
02-07-2010, 20:47
Exactly what I was thinking. I will have my chance to check it over on Tuesday.

95Burb
03-12-2011, 13:32
Any update on your problem? Did you replace your injectors?

Did it sounds like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOCvckLzqBA

Plowboy81
03-21-2011, 10:07
Mine sounded like that before crank broke.

95Burb
03-26-2011, 12:34
I inspected the crank and even put in new bearings while in there. The crank was pristine.