PDA

View Full Version : stranded with turbo trouble..I.. guess help needed

rameye
04-23-2005, 04:55
History...

been diagnosing low boost pressure...found vaccuum pump to be faulty...pump came in, not installed yet.

On my way to the great Northern woods....truck running very nice. All of a sudden, bang loss of power, code is set. Let off accelerator engine regains composure. Come to roadside stop idle, idle is about 200 rpm higher, fuel feels decreased some cut out on strong acceleration, pump timing sounds lame, figure I'm in limp mode of some sort.

Check lift pump, lotsa fuel from water drain, rule out filter and pump..both new. Assume crappy vaccuum pump has finally died, no turbo I figure computer sees no boost...goes into limp mode..right?

Limited tools, no diagnostics available. Hold turbo actuator rod closed..pulled toward radiator...no whine. Take apart intake duct...turbo spins freely. Have wife put rpm at 2K engage rod, turbo is working unducted hear it sucking ..ok whew.

Here is question..no reference materials or anything up here! Only the diesel page and a computer in a coffee shop!

Wastegate actuator closes (rod pulls in) upon raising rpm. Upon release of rpm rod stays in, remove vaccuum line, rod still stays in.

Could my problem be overboost? Afraid to drive it due to overboost , too much pressure or under boost, too much EGT.

What course of action sounds good?

BTW upon shutting off the truck and re-starting all sytems went back to normal and I babied it the rest of the way.

Thanks dieselpage.

No to drink expen$ive latte while awaiting a response.

rameye

G. Gearloose
04-23-2005, 05:10
Unless you are pulling hard, I don't think you could overboost. Good luck. Gotta love the north woods.

rameye
04-23-2005, 05:22
found an old finshing nail in back of truck, shorted out terminals got codes 18...35....54.

forgot to mention...sorry

rameye
04-23-2005, 06:08
more research...maybe an IP going bad...not good!

this one has 80K on it..guess it could be time.

will check/clean /tighten grounds...

gotta love it.

rjschoolcraft
04-23-2005, 07:22
The codes you reported point to either the pump or the PCM.

DTC 18: Pump cam reference pulse error. Will set when 8 cam reference pulses are meissed. PCM will default to back up fuel. Cycling the ingnition switch may clear the code.

DTC 35: Injection pulse width error (response time short). Will set if voltage greater than 10 volts and engine coolant temp is greater than 68F and injection pulse width is less than 1.2 milliseconds. The PCM will default to a fixed pulse width of 1.95 milliseconds. Cycling the switch may clear the code.

DTC 54: PCM Fuel circuit error. Could be fault in PCM.

rameye
04-23-2005, 08:13
Thanks Ronnie Joe,

The PCM is aboutr 90 days old...

There is nothing worse than being stuck out on the road....however the scenery is terrific.

I have pretty much abondoned the turbo as a possible after reading the codes..

I am cleaning the connections again now...I took it out and really let it have it...way loaded it up...didn;t even fart! no codes posted.

I have the FSD mounted to a cooler on the intake. Put it there because it was -10 when I installed it. When the problem started it was 90+ degrees up here...very weird temps.

I feel I may have fragged the new FSD seeing as the cooler was not in an optimal location..moving it ASAP although I realize it's probably too late!

Question...can the FSD cause those codes?
18-35-and 54??

I gotta tell you it runs like a bear right now. Will the pump just die or will it screw with you till it does?

Thanks again to all.

landrea
04-23-2005, 12:54
sounds like a fsd,mine died one nite on the way to an emergency tow ,had to walk half a mile home to get my other truck to do the tow.After that I went back to tow it in and it started right up ,talk about P"d off.Now like all good 6.5ers I keep extres in the glove box.If it will help I can UPS you a used spare to try.

Barry Nave
04-23-2005, 15:15
I 2'nd fsd. My truck still ran good yet could not get the code 35 to go away. Installed SOL-D,now with 6k miles on the new unit.
I still have the FSD and cooler,renstalled when the first SOL-D came out and failed but the FSD set the code 35 again plus others and when New SOL-D installed code 35 was taken care of. smile.gif

rameye
04-23-2005, 15:34
Well I guess FSD isnt the worst thing that could happen to me..if thats it. I thought when the FSD died it went silent without codes...so much for me. The last one died..no codes.

This is only 60-90 days old so thats a big bummer.Maybe a sol-D is in order...however JK didn't have them at the time of my former FSD's demise.

I appreciate the replies..DOA on the road is a bummer...however I did make it to where I was headed...wouldn't be too upset if I had to stay up here for a while. Just glad its not the turbo...afraid I fragged it, that would have stopped me dead in my tracks.

More connection cleaning and whatnot upon my arrival at home..

thanks again

Barry Nave
04-24-2005, 01:36
I would take up the offer for the spare to rule out the FSD. When trying to work through my code 35,I whet through all the wiring. No luck,this pump was going out with 80k miles on it? :eek: Just could not see it though sence truck still had power. FSD has always been a bug up my As$ and had to jump on the SOL-D in hope that this new prod. would be a cure for a long time problem.
Only time will tell and for now I'll keep it on the intake where it is a hot spot so we will see if this hold up, I think it will ;)

rameye
04-24-2005, 02:19
I appreciate the offer for the FSD. I have reset the computer manually, drove it hard for an hour an it didn't set any codes. Wouldnt a pump run like crap if it was going?

I may take you up on it if she starts acting up again. My old FSD is still mounted on the pump as a back-up. That one ran great when it was cool..never set a code.

Big test will be today when I try to make it home. Crazy rain up here, hope to stay dry for the ride back.

charliepeterson
04-25-2005, 17:54
If you suspect a failing PMD a little trick which saved me once is tap water on the cooler or driver itself. When it cools off it starts working again.

rameye
04-26-2005, 09:25
Thanks Charlie...

I used that trick this winter with snow...quite available.

I'm thinking it may be the IP this time around..getting consistent DTC 18's and 35's. I had one 78 but my vac pump is DOA so thats not a surprise.

I'm unstuck..back home ..had to limp mode it from Springfield Mass. Now I have tools and resources, tech 1 etc. Going to go thru the process to eliminate the DTC 18 than work on the 35...the pump has 80K on it so.. this may be it.

Runs great not in limp mode..plenty of umphh! Then once she gets warmed up she starts to crap out. Probably will fill fuel with 10% oil to buy me another week. In have the old FSD to mess with also.

Much fun for me..first IP replacement..wont be a virgin after this!

Barry Nave
04-27-2005, 01:29
The Inj. pump should go well pass 80k. I hope :eek: I'm going on 95k. The code 35 did give me a scare. I bet when you get your boost back the truck will run great even though you have the 18&35. Keep diging before R&R the pump.
I'm still diging on elect boost,not as bad as the pump issue though.

rameye
04-27-2005, 14:38
tomorrow is my day to dig into the code 18...the book says dont even worry about a 35 if you have an 18.

Having the factory books makes a difference when troubleshooting...maybe I'll do the vaccuum pump tomorrow too.

This is weird it runs terrific until it goes into limp mode..then runs like crap. Talked to JK via E-mail...he feels a code 18 is the death knell of the pump. I have 2 weeks or until the truck totally dies to fix r up. This is an every day driver so I cant be dowm for more than a couple of days.

Anybody hear of a FSD fixing a code 18 and 35?

Barry Nave
04-28-2005, 02:46
Rameye
The SOL-D solved my code 35. AIRC,at one time this also gave me many codes. Around 6 at one time. The code 35 was the one that hit me. Now I wish I would of loged all of the codes down.
After clearing,the 35 was the one that keep coming back. The years on this forum I'v not heard much of any thing about code 18.

rameye
04-28-2005, 06:58
Unfortunately as far as my research indicates...code 18 is pump death and causes a code 35 to follow...

I am going thru thru the rule-out logarithym now I'll post me results.