PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss

farmerson
02-03-2010, 14:55
Hi, i went to get a tractor i bought and about half way back with it my 1999 6.5 suddenly lost all the power it had. It also started smoking black as coal and the tranny is acting up, as in when you put the throttle to the floor it kicks it clear down to first and dont have any power and smokes like crazy, but if you let off it regains power and the trans starts working right. Has anyone had this problem before? What do i do to solve it? Buy a DuraMax haha? Also when you get it under a load it seems like the turbo stops running, iv been around turbo's all my life and have never had one stop running when under a load. Any help would be great THANKS!!!

JohnC
02-03-2010, 15:32
Did the check engine light come on?

Hard to tell from here, but it could be that the turbo is over boosting and setting a code which causes the PCM to dump the wastegate.

farmerson
02-03-2010, 19:55
Yea it did, but its been on since i have owned the truck. Im going to see if a buddy can hook it to the computer tomorrow and see if it throws a code.

rustyk
02-03-2010, 22:44
Replace your air filter, then try again. Been there, done that.

farmerson
02-04-2010, 05:42
I just replaced it with a brand new K&N type double cone filter before the trip. But got back and it was completly full of smoke, the clamp on the downpipe isnt tight and it was leaking out of there.

farmerson
02-04-2010, 19:16
Can i just wire or weld the waste gate closed so it dont cause me trouble again?

rameye
02-04-2010, 19:55
You can do that as a test to rule out a bad component..as far as long term...prepare for a kaboom of some proportion!

JohnC
02-04-2010, 21:42
Can i just wire or weld the waste gate closed so it dont cause me trouble again?

You think you've got trouble now....

Try over boost, excess back pressure and turbo overspeed!

farmerson
02-05-2010, 06:47
Ok then, I just put a brand new stack system from the turbo back off of SSD. So even with the pretty well restriction free exhaust system?

Robyn
02-05-2010, 07:42
Before you can do much, you need to get the codes up and see whats bothering the beast.

Once you get the codes then sorting it out won't be a real issue.

Could be a vacuum pump or vacuum solenoid issue or ?????

Get the codes then let us know.

Missy

bbudus
02-05-2010, 07:52
Had the same thing happen to me. Turned out as I was cruising through the Rockies, the vacuum line decided that would be a good to to have a hole in it. Try running one of these things naturally aspirated. I was blowing more black smoke then an old Ford and had about the same power.

Went with a heath Turbo Master after that. Problem solved.

Bbudus

farmerson
02-05-2010, 09:50
bbudus thats just how mine is acting. Is there an easy way to check the vacuum line? Also does anyone know where to get a power chip for one?

bbudus
02-05-2010, 11:16
I would just replace it, I can't remember but i thought it was 1/4", I took mine off at NAPA and showed it to them, they cut me some new off the spool and viola. I think they just gave me the cable for free(small town). But it still is only a couple of bucks.

As for the chip, I used Heath's chip, very happy with it. You can find it here: www.heathdiesel.com.

Bbudus