PDA

View Full Version : Where to start? S10 diesel

CWR032
02-03-2010, 18:29
My 2000 S10 extended cab (4-cyl.) is creeping up on 200,000 miles. It still runs good, but it's losing power and gas mileage. I would like to convert it to diesel, preferably a turbo diesel for power. I don't tow or haul with it and don't plan to, I just drive a lot on the highway and would like better mileage, or better power without worse than the original 26 MPG. Right now it's worse than 20.

Where do I start? I'm looking for direct engine replacement only, to stay with a 4-cylinder that will fit under the hood. I'll need to keep the AC - Texas summers are hot. It's an auto trans now, but I'd be willing to change it over to manual if necessary.

A bolt-in conversion or a site that makes a conversion "kit" would be awesome; a recommendation for a shop in central Texas would be great too.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-04-2010, 12:58
Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel would be your best bet. it will fit nicely with lots of room, relatively. as far as i know, if you use the mercedes tranny, the crossmember and the tranny mount will even line up perfectly. good luck with the conversion

H3DBBNGR
02-04-2010, 14:06
Afternoon to ya'll,
I just got on here because I have seen that people are putting diesels in to Jeeps. I was wondering, first, what would be the best possibility for this project, as far as the diesel. I am looking for some power but not heavy, heavy duty. And also, I was wondering what all I would need to do and buy for the conversion. Thanks in advance for the help.

CWR032
02-04-2010, 17:01
Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel would be your best bet. it will fit nicely with lots of room, relatively. as far as i know, if you use the mercedes tranny, the crossmember and the tranny mount will even line up perfectly. good luck with the conversion
That sounds great - I guess the way to go would be to find a used Mercedes with a running engine? Any idea what year and model would work best with a 2000 S10 extended cab?

HH
02-04-2010, 18:09
Isuzu 4 cyl would be your best bet. You should be able to find one that bolts up to the GM transmission. They were offered in the S10 from the factory. My second choice would be the VW as there are more adapters available than the Mercedes.

More Power
02-05-2010, 11:30
For a 4BT Cummins, check this link: www.4btswaps.com (http://www.4btswaps.com)

Jim

CWR032
02-06-2010, 00:36
When I search "mercedes diesel" on eBay I get about 1,000 results, many of which are diesel cars still in running condition. I even found a 1983 280D wagon for $1,000. When I search "isuzu diesel" I get about 300 results, almost all of which are cab-over-chassis trucks. As far as I know, the Isuzu Hombre was never available in the US as a diesel. This makes the Mercedes coversion my only real choice.

HH
02-07-2010, 19:19
When I search "mercedes diesel" on eBay I get about 1,000 results, many of which are diesel cars still in running condition. I even found a 1983 280D wagon for $1,000. When I search "isuzu diesel" I get about 300 results, almost all of which are cab-over-chassis trucks. As far as I know, the Isuzu Hombre was never available in the US as a diesel. This makes the Mercedes coversion my only real choice.

The S10 was offered with a diesel in the US, but they are "rare". You can find more Isuzu Pups with the diesel.

Mark Rinker
02-07-2010, 22:21
http://trucks.about.com/od/makesandmodels/ss/trucks_world_2.htm

CWR032
02-08-2010, 04:28
The S10 was offered with a diesel in the US, but they are "rare".
Yeah, I found one on eBay, a 1984. The guy wants not less than $8,750 for it. I've driven one - it has NO power, and they weren't very good either.

The second generation S10 and the Isuzu Hombre was never sold in the US in a diesel, so a direct replacement like that is out.

Edahall
02-08-2010, 06:16
In some parts of S. America, a very popular truck there is the Chevy D-Max which often has a 3.0 Diesel in it. It's too bad they don't sell that truck here because it would sell like hot cakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_D-Max

Gearstix
03-06-2010, 20:09
I'm in the same boat.
I've got a 96 S10, with a blown 2.2, I don't really want to spend the dough to rebuild the 2.2, I'd rather go with a diesel and do a waste veggie oil conversion.