PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this picture

9365turbo
02-04-2010, 19:47
Well I pulled both heads off my 02 D-max. The drivers side gasket looked ok. Then I pulled the passenger side. I was talking to a local shop about the injector sleeves today and he asked me if the passenger rear cylinder was leaking. I told I didnt know because I pulled the drivers side first. Well heres a picture of the passenger gasket. http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/blue-ta/heads008.jpg Should I do the cup seals after seeing the gasket?

DmaxMaverick
02-04-2010, 20:26
I would. Better now than later.

9365turbo
02-04-2010, 20:46
Thats what my says also. I do have a question though. When you clean the block surface how do you keep from getting junk in the block while sanding with 600 grit paper?

Kennedy
02-08-2010, 08:49
Contrary to popular belief, you do not want a highly [polished surface. A large body sander with 60 or 80 grit is about the best you can do.

Also resist the temptation to use power wheels.

About all you can do is stuff towels to get teh bulk of the junk and use a really good shop vac to suck the loose stuff up.

Clean as best you can and then run for a short time and follow with an oil change.

Is that carbon buildup or did the fire ring collapse inward?

More Power
02-08-2010, 11:44
Thats what my says also. I do have a question though. When you clean the block surface how do you keep from getting junk in the block while sanding with 600 grit paper?

There are a couple of ways to help prevent grit from contaminating the cylinders and the coolant passages. Like John mentioned, shop towels can help. Then use a good shop vac to vacuum the piston tops when you're finished. Foam rubber can also be cut to shape and stuffed into the cylinder bores and coolant passages, yet allow you to work the surface with a sanding block.

Jim

JohnC
02-08-2010, 13:24
After you're done, run the piston up to TDC then back it down. Any grit around the piston will be left at the top of the bore and you can wipe it up with a shop rag.

9365turbo
02-08-2010, 15:59
Thats the gasket delaminating. I used 600 wet dry with wd-40. Then vacuumed and wiped it out also. Its amazing these diesel engines. Mine has 180K and there is hardly any ridge at the top of the bores.

Kennedy
02-10-2010, 11:41
That's because they used decent materials unlike the BBC and SBC blocks of old...

THEFERMANATOR
02-10-2010, 21:41
That's because they used decent materials unlike the BBC and SBC blocks of old...

Aint nothing wrong with the older SBC's. I'm freshening up a 305 right now with 275K on it that doesn't even have a lip in the cylinder walls.

More Power
02-11-2010, 13:19
Thats the gasket delaminating. I used 600 wet dry with wd-40. Then vacuumed and wiped it out also. Its amazing these diesel engines. Mine has 180K and there is hardly any ridge at the top of the bores.

The induction-hardened cylinder bores are part of the reason. The AERA has a tech bulletin out, that we'll be discussing soon, that cautions engine machinists about boring these Duramax cylinder bores. The teeth on the boring tool can chatter near the top of the bores because of the hardened iron.

Jim