PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket grade

9365turbo
02-06-2010, 16:16
So why would my truck have one grade on the right side head (grade B) and the left side a (grade A). Why would'nt they be the same?

jusina
02-07-2010, 06:54
Maybe Left side had allready been replaced as a (get it fixed and down the road repair)? If no previous repairs, maybe when assembled at the factory it was during the Gasket prodction change and got the last (B) gasket. Or maybe just an oversight during initial assembly. Just a few possibilities. Joe

madmatt
02-18-2010, 06:15
it's to compensate for piston height differences. although very slight, the use of different thickness gaskets even things out. i just use grade C when going back together.

9365turbo
02-18-2010, 20:51
Well they seem to work just fine. I just got back from a 2500 mile road trip to California and coming back was hauling a 11.5 ft Arctic fox camper. It sure is nice not seeing that low coolant light come on. I did learn something though. Make sure you tighten the intercooler hose clamps. Had the left side pop off going up a hill leaving San Bernardino. Had to laugh at myself at that. Good trip though.

madmatt
02-20-2010, 15:33
Well they seem to work just fine. I just got back from a 2500 mile road trip to California and coming back was hauling a 11.5 ft Arctic fox camper. It sure is nice not seeing that low coolant light come on. I did learn something though. Make sure you tighten the intercooler hose clamps. Had the left side pop off going up a hill leaving San Bernardino. Had to laugh at myself at that. Good trip though.

loose clamps,,,, it happens!!