PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug replacing

rgrowan
09-15-2005, 12:07
is it as easy as it seems to replace glow plugs on a '99 6.5TD? Just DC batteries, unhook wire, unscrew old one, screw in new one, reconnect wire and batteries? Or is it a wolf in sheeps clothing?

Cowracer
09-15-2005, 12:31
Yes and no.

If everthing goes well, then yes.

If the plug has swelled, then there is more to it.

I think that the majority of plugs will come out with no probs.

Tim

MTTwister
09-16-2005, 06:07
Just did mine a few weeks ago ..

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009225

AC11g's weren't swelled up, suprisingly little torque needed to break loose the old glow plugs.. I used 1/4 ratchet, (10mm I think) deep socket, and occassionally a shorty extension.
Didn't disconnect the batteries, but I did put it in 4wd before pulling the passenger front wheel.

Suck it up and drop the down pipe first - makes it a lot easier.

TTM
09-16-2005, 06:56
Watch your thumbs on I think on #6. Don't let your socket slip....Took some stiches when mine hit the wheel well edge...

JeffsTowTruck
09-16-2005, 07:51
rgrowan-- Yep you pretty much got.. I did mine a couple months back smile.gif Easy!! :cool: -- one thing I found, if you get a wholesale discount at a GM dealer they are just as cheap as anywhere and you get OEM.

MTTwister
09-17-2005, 17:04
TTM - Mine was the back of the left hand - breaking the exhaust nut loose on #4 - bled like a sucker - kept opening it up, off and on. I did relocte to over the fender and did them blind - but I could have figured a way direct - just watch that Fender edge!

By the Way - does every one know that brake fluid is a great anti-coagulant? ( found that out on the Duster... ) smile.gif

EDIt - Just to note - it was about 40

landrea
09-20-2005, 08:15
Hay guys,I hate to laugh but on my 3500 hd's its reeely easy cuz by body is lifted from the factory,I just pop off the rubber inner fender curtain and I can get right to mine with an extension and a 10mm socket. :D

Turbo Al
09-20-2005, 09:06
I cheated and drilled a hole through the fender for the NEXT time I do #6
Al

Beedee
09-21-2005, 12:35
Well after putting it off for several month, I finaly got around to doing the glow plugs. After reading all the information I could on the DP's, I went out and got all my supplies, even ordered a glow plug removal tool from OTC (part # 6005). I'll tell ya, I was ready. Went down town to pick up all my goodies, came home and had another look. Said to myself, the engine is too hot, do it tommorow, closed the hood. was back 10 min later, just had to try it. To make a long story short, I got the left side done and the 2 front on the right side done in 45 min. I had to pack up and get ready for work so had to knock off for the day. I sprayed all of the fasteners for the down pipe ect, and will tackle in the next couple of days. Hopefully, if I havent jinxed myself the last 2 will come out the same.
Moral of the story! If I hadn't spent the $120.00 for the removal tool that I didn't need they would have been swollen up for sure :D :D
I have a couple of questions. 1) Since I live on the west coast, and it doesnt get that cold, is this why the plugs werent swollen up?? Less cycle time in the cold 2) Since the rest came out so easy, is it possible to get the last 2 with the down pipe still in place if I can get the heat shield off for the 3rd one?
Thanx for any replies. I haven't been around the forums much lately, lots of work, too much OT, holidays, you know.
Brian

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2005, 18:11
Beedee

You shouldn't have a problem with GP swelling. Your '99 came with 11G's, which don't swell, as a general rule. The 9G's were the problem, and were discontinued about '92 or so.

As a side note:
That spendy "Glow plug removal tool" is only effective about 10% of the time when you have problems with swelled plugs. Usually, when a plug swells, it's too late. The removal tool will aid removal of a sooted up plug, but will usually make a swelled plug issue worse. There are other, better methods of swelled plug removal.

damork
09-23-2005, 16:04
My 1995 came with 9G's. I wouldn't have believed it but took one out to run a compression check at 76k miles. I switched immediately to 60G's. Cold starts remained a problem until I changed the GP relay which made a huge difference.