PDA

View Full Version : Injector return nipples

Mikey von
02-08-2010, 20:39
Do the return nipples on the injectors need to line up in a horizontal line??? I used a injector socket and did not pay attention to orientation, some do not line up in a nice horizontal line. Is this a big deal???

john8662
02-08-2010, 22:37
Hate to break it to ya. You're gonna have to pull them all out and re-index them.

;)

Just messing with ya...

No big deal at all, they never all line up, it's all good. That's why there is just rubber lines in between them.

:cool:

DmaxMaverick
02-09-2010, 06:47
As John said, no biggie. They never line up. This is only a problem if your return lines are too short, and may require some creative rearranging (or just replace them with a new kit--do not use off-the-shelf hose).

The nipple clock locations are determined by the injector body threads, gasket thickness, and tightness. Nothing to worry about. If you ever see an engine with them all lined up (and properly torqued), head to Vegas with all your cash.

raunch
02-09-2010, 08:06
Excuse the hijack please....but why not off the shelf hose? I recently replaced mine with Viton hose, and they are OK. Only the O.D. is a bit larger so the O.E. clamps barely fit over the hose once it is on the nipple.
Thanks.

Mikey von
02-09-2010, 08:57
I am using a braided hose (not steel braided) that the respected (redding fuel injection) shop told me to use after rebuilding my injectors. They gave me 3' or so and said that should be plenty. They said not to use clamps.

DmaxMaverick
02-09-2010, 09:00
Excuse the hijack please....but why not off the shelf hose? I recently replaced mine with Viton hose, and they are OK. Only the O.D. is a bit larger so the O.E. clamps barely fit over the hose once it is on the nipple.
Thanks.

There may be an acceptable (feasible) solution other than the OEM type, but I have yet to see one last more than a few seasons. Clamps or no clamps, they tend to leak, or just start chunking off or crack in the bends and on the ends (indicating an impending leak). Viton is chemically resistant to most fluids, but is not any more tolerant of heat than the others. The fabric covered OEM lines will last (what seems like) forever if they aren't significantly re-bent or damaged. A full replacement kit is (usually) less than $25. I would sooner scavenge a good looking set off a wreck than replace with any substitute. Nothing scientific about my opinion, just nearly 30 years of experience and observation with this.

Just like cheap spark plug wires. Pay now or pay later (and later usually costs a lot more, in both dollars and inconvenience).

raunch
02-09-2010, 14:29
Ah...the heat. I did not think of what the heat will do to the bare Viton.

I have had a couple of leaks form the plugged ends of the return lines, which is where I was trying to get the O.E. clamps to fit. Perhaps it was heat damage all along that was causing the problem. I always just assumed it was because there was some pressure build-up in those end lines.

JohnC
02-09-2010, 15:28
Viton is good to at least 400*F.

There should be negligible pressure in the return lines, basically not much more than the tank pressure.