PDA

View Full Version : My take on my new Heath Turbomaster

fastboat
02-11-2010, 12:44
Well if you saw my thread on my vacuum problems and Hypertech chip you are up to speed. If not, the quick story is the vac system broke again and I was unsure if the Hypertech chip that was installed many years ago would work with the turbomaster. I was going to stay original, but destroyed my brand new vac pump when trying to press on the old pulley. If any of you want advice on how NOT to press on your old pulley please contact me- I am an expert. SO, $200 wasted cash later I bought the Heath TM. It is a VERY well made piece, with the best set of idiot proof installation instructions I have ever seen, and an extra nut in case you drop one! In my first look at it, it seemed like the swing of the wastegate arm would hit a boss on the turbo, so I called Heath. They told me it would be fine, the arm would never swing back that far anyway. They also said to run it up to 70mph, then stab the throttle to see if I get a soft SES code. Very pleasant and helpful conversation. So I installed it and gave it a run. It seems like the boost comes in a little sooner and rises and falls more smoothly. With the old vac system, it would spike to 18 lbs when stomping it from a stop, then fall back to a lower level. This goes to about 12 , then comes down but not as far. So far I think it is smoother, with better pull down low, but possibly not quite as stong on the top end? Maybe something to do with the way the Hypertech chip is programmed to work with the factory vac system? I don't pull much, but I'm guessing when I do I will see an even bigger improvement. Anyway, I'm very happy now and I will see this week how the mileage is affected, if at all, and report back on that. If anyone wants a brand new vacuum pod (only) or knows how to rebuild a pump send me a message!
Dave

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-11-2010, 14:06
sounds good. i am planning on ordering one soon.

bullboybob
02-12-2010, 20:59
Hey Fastboat what are the specs on your truck ?

fastboat
02-13-2010, 09:03
It is a 94 K2500 Suburban with 172k miles. It has 410 gears with 265/70/17 BFG T/A's, so the final ratio is different from factory too. I bought it from the original owner about 7 years ago with the Hypertech chip, 4" exhaust and some other upgrades. About 2 years ago, I had a head gasket leak (or cracked heads, I don't know for sure) and did a major tune-up and upgrade, but not a full rebuild. I put on new aftermarket heads, a PMD with heat sink, #9 resistor, marine injectors, high volume water pump, and new plugs and controller from SSDiesel Supply. The cylinders still had the cross-hatch pattern so I left the bottom end alone, but I did change the seals. I also put in a little larger exhaust crossover and a new K&N filter, and removed the tube from the front fender for better flow. ( BTW- K&N replaced my old filter due to the outer edge coming apart with no questions asked- SUPER service!) I would love to know if there are other people on here running the Hypertech chip. After the TM install I've driven about 120 miles or so, so I'm still watching everything. I should have a full tank through her in about a week and a half and I will know if there is any change in mileage. I think the EGT's go up a little more when standing on it from stop or slow than they did with the vacuum system, but they come back down quickly when I back off. Overall I'm happy so far. At least I know I don't have to buy any more vac pumps!
Dave

Robyn
02-13-2010, 09:05
The turbo master will respond based on the heat output of the engine (Exhaust pressure) and how tight the spring is set.

For the average users 6.5 I recommend to set it up to spike at about 12-14 and then fall off to 8 or so and then the pressure will rise again as the load increases.

As the tranny finally shifts into 4th lockup (auto) and the thing settles in for the pull the boost will then climb back up.

Dont set the thing to more than about 12 PSI while its under a hard load.

The quick spikes are no biggy its the steady pressure under a hard pull thats the point to keep an eye on.

Have not a clue on how your chip was set up.

If under a steady pull with pressures over 8 PSI for 5 seconds or longer and you get an SES light or it defuels you will need to use the Heath chip.

Heath has designed their chip to disregard the overboost.

You are the only thing keeping your little critter out of MELTVILLE.

Robyn

fastboat
02-13-2010, 09:34
Heath told me to make the SPRING LENGTH 2 inches. That's pretty accurate at the 12lbs max. I was thinking about putting another turn or two on it just to see what happens, but I'm leaving it alone for a while- at least the first full tank. I have run it hard up some hills, but I have not pulled anything yet. So far no codes, but I don't know if I actually kept it over 8 lbs for a full 5 secs. BTW- what is your opinion on the fail-safe point on EGT's?
Dave

GMC Hauler
02-14-2010, 17:58
1250 pre turbo.

I run 1150 max pre turbo for a little more margin to thermal limits, considering imbalance between cylinders. 1150 to 1250 is not much more power anyway.

fastboat
03-07-2010, 13:40
Well after a few weeks and two tanks, this setup is not what I was hoping for. I do not have to worry about the vacuum system anymore, which is a big plus for me, but that's about all the benefit I can find here. Power is the same or less, and economy is probably actually less, although only by a hair. I can only assume it has to do with the Hypertech chip and how it deals with the factory vacuum system. The truck does not downshift anywhere near as much or as quickly, and max boost is around 12. I know that is what a lot of you say is appropriate, however the old system used to spin to 18 lbs and I definitely felt a seat-of-the-pants difference with no load. Again, I have not pulled anything yet, but since I rarely do, the everyday performance and economy was my priority. I am not in a position to get the Heath chip, or I probably would do it to match things up. Let me be clear- I was very happy with the way I was treated by Heath, and this piece is extremely well built. I will also get in touch with them again to see what they think. Maybe I should crank down on the spring some more? We'll see. I think I may have been expecting too much due to some of the things I have read about the combination of the Heath chip and Turbomaster. I wish Hypertech would have been more forthcoming about their programming, especially since they no longer offer their chip. I don't know that this will be of any assistance to anyone, since I'm probably now the only person on earth with this combination, but who knows? As always, thanks for the help.
Dave

JohnC
03-07-2010, 18:41
... the old system used to spin to 18 lbs and I definitely felt a seat-of-the-pants difference with no load...

That was the thrill as your engine was trying to rip itself apart. You're better off now. 18 psi without an intercooler is going to get your intake air temps too high and keeping that wastegate closed that much will create too much backpressure.

Get yourself a scanner and read the fuel curve from the chip.

fastboat
03-08-2010, 12:36
What will the fuel curve tell me? Is it something I can change? At this point I would think the only thing I have any control over is how hard I crank on the nut to tighten the Turbomaster. This is getting deeper than I think I need to go. I don't disagree with you about the higher boost, but it was never there for long. I do not see any difference in EGT's either.
Dave

JohnC
03-08-2010, 14:55
What will the fuel curve tell me?

I wish Hypertech would have been more forthcoming about their programming,

Just trying to help you help yourself! ;)

My guess is that if the boost spikes to 18 psi and then drops off dramatically, they aren't paying attention to it until it goes out of range then they're playing catchup. If your steady state boost with the turbo master is the same as or higher than before, then that's not what's detracting from your performance.

The injection pump is only capable of delivering a specific fuel rate and as long as you have enough boost to burn all the fuel (no black smoke) and keep EGT's in check, more boost is counterproductive.

rogers
03-08-2010, 16:03
The injection pump is only capable of delivering a specific fuel rate and as long as you have enough boost to burn all the fuel (no black smoke) and keep EGT's in check, more boost is counterproductive.

Please explain. I had always understood the formula to be: more boost=more better.

JohnC
03-08-2010, 19:14
Holding the wastegate closed to produce more boost increases back pressure. More back pressure results in reduced efficiency and more stale air in the combustion chamber. A different turbo would help, but generally at the expense of low speed response time.

Higher intake pressure results in higher intake air temperature. Hotter air is less dense. Also, every degree increase in intake temperature increase results in a degree of EGT increase.