PDA

View Full Version : Deal or No Deal!!!!?

midnightrumbler
02-11-2010, 12:51
I have a chance to purchase a 1995 Chevrolet Ext. Cab Silverado Dually 4x4 Turbo Diesel for $4200.00 but I have never owner a diesel in my life.

Here are the specs of the truck:

4l60E rebuilt transmission, 330 orig kms, Injector pump was done 2 years ago ($1100 part), ***just replaced the pmd module $980 fix on jan 17th (all receipts available), 4x4 on the floor, works great, new cv shafts. cappaciano in colour, grey cloth interior, good tires and brakes (brake service just done), new altenator and belt tensioner ($400), comes with bedliner and cap, starts up any condition, great truck for hauling has factory 4:10 gearing, never plowed with. no leaks. front tow hooks. ball joints and tie rods replaced last year. new brake lines. truck is ready to go no rust/scratches/ or dents!!

I took the truck for a text drive today in -8 degree weather. The truck was not plugged in or started before I got there and she cranked up and ran with no issues.

The truck is in great shape for the year besides needing a few odds and ends.

I really am not going to use the truck for much at the moment except for light hauling and the odd trip here and there.

Should I stick with the 454 or step up to a Diesel?

Seeing how the PMD was just replaced, should I put in the #9 resistor? I have plans on tearing out the stock air intake and opening up the exhaust if I do purchase the truck. For now it would just be Air Intake and Muffler deleted

What should I be looking out for on a 6.5 Turbo Diesel?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-11-2010, 14:04
Only thing to really look out for is to get that PMD relocated with a remote harness, otherwise you will be fixing it again.

I am not sure what the truck market is like in your area, but up here that would be a fair price for the truck.

From 454 to 6.5? You will need some mods to make that 6.5 have the same kind of power. The 7.4 make almost identical torque and an additional 40 horse.

Difference is going to be in mileage. That 6.5 will do better.

And the tranny is a 4L80. ;) I highly doubt a 4l60 would last very long at all in a dually diesel.

jerry598
02-12-2010, 11:10
If you do your own mechanical work, that truck sounds like a good buy. Like any used vehicle with no warranty, anything can happen. But, you might be able to drive it for a very long time without any serious problems. Even if you there's a problem down the road, you could fix it yourself, especially with all the help you can find on this site. If you don't do your own work, any problems down the road could be costly.