PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Chev HD2500 Silverado with leaking left front axle seal.

PeteDx
02-11-2010, 14:25
Hi;

I've been trying to get the left stub shaft out of the carrier assembly and it is stuck like you wouldn't believe. I've changed them before and sometimes they can be stubborn so I built a giant slide hammer out of some round stock and an old end piece of a CV shaft. It's always worked before, but this time, no go.

I've welded about 25 extra pounds onto the hammer and a handle for two men to pull for this particular job. The force this generates is insane, but still not enough to break that stupid little retainer. Where do I go from here? Do I have to replace the whole carrier assembly to repair this leaking seal? If I split the case, you still can't pull the diff out because the ring holds the diff into the case just as well as it holds the stub shaft into the diff.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

More Power
02-15-2010, 13:32
I'd likely take it to a drivetrain shop or perhaps a GM dealership (if they have a good mech), and let them do it... Explain the problem before they begin the job. There may be a trick to it... I've had a 90's front axle/diff assembly apart, but not one of these built since 2001.

Jim

madmatt
02-18-2010, 06:34
there's a bulletin out for this very problem and i've personnaly ran into it twice. have to remove the diff, cut the axle flange off to get the carrier out of the case, remove the spider gear shaft and drive the stub of the axle out. replace the axle, retaining clip and the left side gear. i've been lucky enough to have donor axles and diffs laying around but is not a fun job for sure. I've got pics to show how i've done some to save the axle,,,, I did this one the way i did by cuting the donor to salvage parts needed to do an elocker install.

PeteDx
03-03-2010, 10:17
Thanks for the info matt.

I ended up pulling the diff assembly out and putting in a used one from another truck. The stub shaft on this one was damaged when it was removed due to the same problem, but at least it came out. I ground down the shaft a little on the end so it would slide back in and installed a new seal and retainer.

So far, so good.

Next time I'll try it your way.