PDA

View Full Version : New to the 6.5's

midnightrumbler
02-13-2010, 19:12
I just bought myself a 1995 Silverado 3500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel. The PMD was recently replaced but put back in it's original location. The truck has 336,000km's on it.

As a newbie to the 6.5 diesels, what are some of the first things I should do to the truck mechanical wise and what is the best engine oil to run in a higher mileage diesel? What sort of additives if any help out with these motors?

I will be opening up the exhaust from downpipe back and putting on a cold air intake but that will pretty much be it for awhile. Mayeb an EGT Guage and a Boost gauge as well.

Thank you in advance

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-13-2010, 21:43
Welcome to TDP!

First thing is to get that PMD moved into a different spot. beyond that, you are on the right track with opening her up to breath and pass gas. :D

i run shell rotella-T in all my diesels. seems to work good.

tanman_2006
02-14-2010, 10:29
If you want to go with synthetic I've heard AMSOIL is just about as good as it gets. Yesterday I installed an AMSOIL dual filter relocation kit, I used some shell Rotella after since I was stocked up on it, time will tell how the conventional oil holds up under extended change intervals.

If you want to run an additive you need to look at a lubricating fuel supplement. Some have used 30 weight oil, 2 stroke oil, and there are also additives sold at local parts shops or you could order from amoil.