PDA

View Full Version : Battery Info

GMCHORSHAM
04-23-2005, 18:11
I replaced both my Truck batteries in Feb03,with a pair of Delco 5780, they are reported as 760CCA.Last week I attempted to start my truck and all I got was the dreaded starter click. With that, I charged both batteries, for approx a day each, this resulted in a regeneration of truck starting.
However a few days latter the engine turn over rate seemed to be depleted, although it did start. While the period of change has only been
26 months, the truck doesn't get started each day
and sometimes may not be started for a few weeks.
My questions are; Have any other truck owners
experienced short life span on batteries. I am
currently considering replacement with Optima-
Red Tops, 34's with a CCA of 800.
I have accessed the Forum Search, on Batteries and a number of posts indicate that Optima
Batteries are a popular choice.
I am interested in sourcing some up date info from Optima users, as the posts that I read were reasonable old.
Any advise and update about Batteries is appreciated.
Thanks; Rod.

a5150nut
04-23-2005, 18:30
You might do a search on battery post mods. And if you are going several weeks without starting I would use a trickle chager to keep them up.

Also check and clean ALL ground connections.

RT
04-23-2005, 18:47
I have Optimas and I love them. They spin the motor at least twice as fast as the Interstates I had. They ain't cheap but I plan on keeping the truck. RT

damork
04-23-2005, 20:14
I had 2 bad experiences with Delcos in my truck, so 3rd time went with the gray SUV Sears Diehards. The Diehards do better than the Delcos did, and now are 18 mos old. I used Optimas in the past and will go with them next if the Diehards disappoint me, but so far they are doing great.

One note of caution - check out your alternator too. I also had 2 bad experiences with Delco alternators - both times sqeaking and not putting out enough to keep up with demand. Switched to Duralast Gold (New not rebuilt) alternators from Autozone. Also installed one on my wife's Explorer and now both vehicles have much improved charging systems.

GMCHORSHAM
04-23-2005, 20:35
Thanks all,
A5150; I have checked the earth wires, and indeed I added extra earth leads from both Batteries back to the chassis, also added an extra earth leed to both sides where the chassis links to the cab.
RT; Thanks for the Optima info.
Denmork; Good tip about the Alternator,the OEM-
guage indicates 12.6v, however the way these guages act at times, accuracy is not a strong feature.
Rod.

GMCHORSHAM
04-23-2005, 20:47
Sorry Damork ! no offence I wrote Denmork.
Should have edited before posting.
The new alternators that you added to your vehicles, did they have the right pully diameters
and take off's to operate your tackos, or did you have to exchange these over.
Rod.

Barry Nave
04-24-2005, 01:02
I've ran Dura-Gold batterys for 5 years. When truck cranked slow,one battery went out. Replaced that one and all is well. Over 1 1/2 years now. Also ran the Dura-Gold Alt. Had to reuse the pulley off of the old. Thats been 2 years now. Not sure if Auto Zone has this fix now for the 6.5. Did bring it to there ATT. at that time. Volt gauge stays dead on at 14,little lower when lights,AC ACC. on. Same volts when checked at Alt. with a meter.
Check volts at Alt. or batterys and see what the volts are. May have the volts but not the Amps.
Last summer truck was showing slow cranking,had batterys check one at a time and were ok. Starter was drawing to many Amp. R&R with a Dura-Gold starter and all is well.
I'm just glad I can do my own work :D

Dvldog 8793
04-24-2005, 04:57
Howdy
Optimas are, in my opinion, the best batteries made. as stated they are not cheap. I have several freinds that race dirt traqck the batteries in those cars take a real beating. ALL of them use optimas. I have had them for 2 years and the kick!
I would really check your alternator. 12.5 volts isn't really up to par with what it should be. 13.5 - 14.5volts
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

GMCHORSHAM
04-24-2005, 16:26
Battery & Alternator Test Results.
Using a Digital Test Meter Vs IP OEM volt guage.
Pre Start up Didital Meter reads 12.2V.
Engine running at Idle during all tests below.
Using Digital Meter..Vs..IP OEM volt guage.
No Load 14.48V .......... 13.3V.
Loaded 14.30V ........... 12.59V.
The load was applied by; A/C & Fan full on, Stereo on, All lights on plus 6 trailer lights.
Conclusions;
A. Alternator is charging within Specs.
B. The IP OEM volt guage is 1-V, lower than actual.
c. The lack of use over two week periods with out a trickle charge has a depleting effect on
battery capabilities and life.
Corrective Actions; As suggested by a few members
trickle charge the batteries every six weeks.
Thankyou for your help and suggestions.
Rod.

landrea
04-24-2005, 18:53
I have had many problems with the Delco batteries,the battery breaks off at the post from vibration.I switched to a CarQuest battery because it is beefed up at the side post but after about 16 months they don't hold a good charge.Now I changed to Optima yellow top and I mean to tell ya they crank like crazy now.

HammerWerf
04-26-2005, 06:51
Ron,
I live in the Central Valley of California, where the average summertime high temperature averages 35*C. The average life of my batteries is approximatly 2 years. Hot climates shorten the bateries life. Sears and Roebucks did a study a number of years ago based on warranty replacements of their batteries (Diehard brand). They found that batteries in hot climates survived only about 2 years. I don't have a reference web report, my Brother-in-Law works for Sears Automotive and told me about the study. Don't know which part of Australia your in, but this may be a complicating factor. I currently have a Diehard SUV (grey case) that is 2 1/2 years old and need to be replaced before summer starts.
I haven't heard how Optima's withstand the summers here, but I am starting to see them in more of the Hod Rods. The case top is used to either contrast or compliment the engine bay colors.
HammerWerf

ZZ
04-26-2005, 14:09
I learned the hard way that the Sears DieHard live up to their name. I've had them to start and then drive somewhere and then they die hard. It was like they shorted out and wouldn't even take a boost.

damork
04-26-2005, 19:13
GMCHORSHAM

The Duralast alternators I've bought have had the right pulleys so they must of fixed the problem.

With respect to Sears Diehards - have had mixed results. Anything can fail prematurely. I had one on a car that failed way too early, but also had them run 7-8 years without problems. The AC Delcos seem to have had short lives in the 6.5 trucks. Had to try something else.

tom.mcinerney
04-30-2005, 18:43
GMCHORSHAM-
Sounds like you've made progress.
-On '94 the battery-to-starter cable connection at the starter is said to be critical.
-The 'parasitic drain' , or power comsumed when the vehicle is parked, off, can be measured and rectified. Occasionally components decay and consume power when they shouldn't. If your alternator has a bad diode it may be draining the batteries at rest. This tends to be worse in hotter conditions. You could connect an ammeter in series with alternator output wire when at rest, should read low miliamps or microamps. Could also try on whole system from battery, but hard with two batteries.

GMCHORSHAM
04-30-2005, 23:58
Thanks tommac95, this is good info. Never considered this! however I could't understand the
fix. Are you suggesting to put an amp gauge, on different output lines, to measure any drains as a process of elimination. Then fix or replace the conponents as necessary.
HammerWerf expressed how hotter climatic conditions will deplete longivity in batteries.
I live near the country town of Horsham, this is the Grain growing area of Victoria, located 300klm west of Melbourne.The Temps in Summer range for 32-42 deg C, and last from Nov to Mrch. I have priced some Optima batteries, wow they are expensive, $300/each $Aus. The Delco's that I currently have were $150/each. An alternative that was suggested is the Deka- Intimidator, Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this Brand ??
Thanks; Rod.