PDA

View Full Version : Rough starting and poor performance

pjt97k2500
02-17-2010, 12:36
I replaced the heads, head gaskets, injectors, glow plugs and installed a new 4" exhaust system in my 1997 TD L65. I have used the truck for a couple short trips with the travel trailer this winter. First problem is that it runs quite rough when I start it (cold) and smokes alot. I suspected glow plug problems but have checked the glow plugs (test light hooked to battery + post) and checked each lead independantly (test light hooked to Battery - post). Everything checks out except I could not check the resistance. The second problem is that while towing at 60 mph, the truck smoked alot (black smoke) and no power. On my last trip out, it was powerless (had to shift to 3rd gear) on the way out but ran quite normal on the return trip (OD at 1900 rpm). Any ideas on what I should check? The dash MIL has not come on and I have not had it scanned for codes.

DaveBr
02-17-2010, 14:36
Check to see if your lift pump is operating. Rough running when cold is a classic lift pump symptom. Pump is located inside the frame around the drivers door.

Robyn
02-17-2010, 18:30
Make sure the lift pump is working. Check the fuel filter if its been a while.

Make sure the vacuum pump is puting out 26"HG and steady.

check that the waste gate actuator is holding the wastegate shut. Should have about 15-20 " HG at the wastegate actuator.

The wastegate solenoid over on the LH valve cover could also be an issue.

These things can casue the poor power.

Bad glow plugs will cause the poor starts and smoke when cold.

Keep us posted

Robyn

pjt97k2500
02-18-2010, 17:53
Thanks, will check the lift pump and WG solenoid. Fuel filter and glow plugs are new. If the WG solenoid is malfunctioning, will this set a code?

pjt97k2500
04-05-2010, 16:18
Thought I should give an update; Took the truck to GCL Fuel Systems, they scanned it and it displayed P0236 (Turbo Boost System Performance) and P1216 (Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Short). Basically I had NO boost from the Turbo and had to replace the Vacuum pump. They removed the IP, Reset the poppet valve stroke and recalibrated to factory specs., installed the IP, set the timing to factory specs. and problems solved.