PDA

View Full Version : 2nd IP in 10,000 miles?

dieselrealtor
02-17-2010, 13:38
I put an AC Delco (Stanadyne I think) reman in around 9,000 miles ago, wife was driving today & experienced an uncommanded throttle, (black smoke, etc).

I just went over & checked it, it started then immediately throttled up to redline, hunted & died.

I bought the IP on ebay with no paperwork but it was obviously uninstalled previously.

Any ideas?

JohnC
02-17-2010, 14:25
Check all the connections on the pump and PMD. If you have an extension harness, check it as well. Sounds like the PMD is shorted. (I've heard that disconnecting the PMD can cause this, but I'm not convinced...)

Warranty?

dieselrealtor
02-17-2010, 15:40
When I finally get out of the office tonight I will check it, I have a remote pmd mounted in the front bumper, it was a brand new pmd that I put in, I will put a spare one on & try it.

Robyn
02-17-2010, 18:16
A runaway like you describe is not that common but does occure.

I have personally had two that did it. Can be a little unerving for sure.

Replace the PMD with a DTECH and you should be fine. Use the resistor from the old PMD.

The IP is probably fine me thinks.

This happening is the reason that they have the shutoff solenoid up on the IP.

The Computer senses the overspeed and cuts the power to the Solenoid and kills the engine.

Without this feature there would be six and a halfs in pieces from time to time.

I had one happen late one night in an underground parking garage. The thing skunked up the place real good too.

Sadly there was a young couple parked right alongside the Burb when it lit off into orbit and the thing filled their car full of nasty soot. :eek:

The guy thought at first that I had done it just to be an ##$ hole.

Good luck

Missy

dieselrealtor
04-19-2010, 15:00
just an fyi to others out there, I went to back it "off the curb" where my wife left it that day, didn't have time to mess with it during the day.

Went back that night after it was cool, it drove home fine & has driven fine since, no other issues.

I am not expert but I would venture to guess that there have been as many 6.5 uncommanded throttle response issues as Toyota has had. Especially since it has happened twice to me.