PDA

View Full Version : Weird stall behavior revisited

Lightyear
02-18-2010, 06:06
I posted a question some time ago about some weird stalling behavior in the 'Burb. I looked at lift pump and OPS as culprits, but as it turns out the battery crossover cable was toast. The end at the right side battery was corrded and eroded from poor a connection for who knows how long. One new cable and Dr Lee's 5/16" nut and bolt mod later...no more stalls or hiccups. Period. Holds good voltage all the time too. Thanks Dr Lee and everybody who gave suggestions...you're exponentially increasing my knowledge base on this truck. Cheers!

DennisG01
02-18-2010, 12:53
Thanks Dr Lee and everybody who gave suggestions...you're exponentially increasing my knowledge base on this truck. Cheers!

As is posting follow-ups like this! Thank you. It's the kind of good info that gets "filed" for future reference. :)

But, it also raises a question (at least to me)...

I wonder why? The engine is certainly capable of running on one battery. Did the port side battery get drawn down so far that it died? It couldn't have been the starboard side connecting/disconnecting repeatedly, could it?

Lightyear
02-19-2010, 05:46
I don't think so. What triggered my further investigation was a drive home from the home store. It started running strange...loss of power, sluggisg response, followed by the tach surging not in time with the engine and loss of electrics. Pulled over and poked around under the hood, found the starboard side pos cable loose. I still has the cheap-a$$ stock terminal bolts at that point. Snugged it down and started off. About a mile later more of the same. Pulled off in a safe place and put the old, slightly longer bolt in. That's when I saw how bad the terminal end of the cable was. One new cable and 4 nut/bolt pairs later, and it runs like a new truck. I laos coated the out surfaces with dielectric grease.

I thought I remembered a post about the PCM being unhappy without good voltage from both batteries; maybe I'm making that up. But the problem has yet to resurface, and it's been 2 or 3 months and about 5000 miles now. Maybe it's superstition, but I won't fool with what works. ;-)

JohnC
02-19-2010, 12:35
Everything (including the left battery) runs through the right side plus connector.