PDA

View Full Version : Dark Grey Smoke

shouldaboughtachevy
02-18-2010, 23:46
04.5 LLY Bone stock.

I'm a complete noob with a diesel but I've tried to do my homework and have troubleshooted about as far as I'm capable.

The last few days it's been blowing dark grey smoke. No smoke at idle and no smoke when the turbo is fully spooled up. It only does it between about 800 rpm and 2200. Also, it doesn't always smoke either. Sometimes it's clean as a whistle. Sometimes the smoke is darker than others, sometimes it is lighter and almost white. Sometimes it cleans up a little earlier(1500+ rpms) Sometimes it only smokes a tad and sometimes it bellows. The smoke doesn't smell like coolant, which is relieving. However, it has red coolant and I can't say that I've ever smelled red burn before and so I don't know if it's any different.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but last week I had to let it idle for about 18 hours straight and a day or two after seems to be about when it started. I did have the elevated idle feature on. There doesn't appear to be any fuel in my oil. I haven't lost any coolant so far, and my overflow doesn't bubble when cranking or running. It does seem like my fuel economy has dropped a little, but my driving conditions have changed considerably since I first checked it. (up and down steep grades on dirt roads as opposed to simply around town) I haven't experienced any noticeable loss of power. I haven't put any additive in my fuel since I've had the truck (about a month) Maybe someone can recommend a good brand?

I don't know if it matters, but 90% of the time outside temperature is below freezing. Temperature hits about 35 F almost every day for a couple hours and goes back down to around 15 F.

With as little as I know about diesels, I am even less familiar with turbos. With that in mind, I don't think the turbo sounds right. Sometimes it sounds fine, but sometimes it's particularly quiet (can't be heard at all, or can barely be heard) Sometimes it sounds normal(not loud, but certainly audible from the cab - at least that's what I think is normal), and once it even sounded like a whine. I'm not 100% sure that it was the turbo, but I'm pretty confident. Then again, that could all be irrelevant as the truck is fairly new to me and I've never owned anything turbo.

Also, the air filter does need to be changed. It isn't in dire need of replacement, but it could use it. Could that be related to smoking? I work in the oilfield and am currently unable to take my truck to a shop for diag nor can I get to a parts store, but I do have a new air filter being brought to me the beginning of next week. I don't have a scanner (I know. I wish I did. I'll be trying to get one sooner than later)

Sorry about the long post, just trying to be thorough. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so any insight and a step in the right direction would help tremendously. Any insight into what I should look at or look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark Rinker
02-19-2010, 03:09
Change the air filter first, before any futher troubleshooting, or concern.

I would then obtain an OBD-II scan tool, or an aftermarket Duramax programmer such as the Predator by Diablosport that will read OBD-II codes, and give you realtime info on boost.

At the temps you've described, it is normal to see some amount of exhaust smoke during operation. Unless you have stinky white clouds at idle (injectors), or black sooty smoke during acceleration (unburned, overfueled) I wouldn't be too concerned.

Don't idle your truck uneccessarily.