PDA

View Full Version : Day late/Doller short

eracers999
12-24-2004, 10:02
Got a DSG stud gurdle comming for the mains. Pulled the front diff out, pulled the pan, was admiring how clean and pretty everything looked until i focused on no3 and 4 main journals in the block.

No3 looks like it is almost broke clean off on the odd side. Caught me off guard, engine was perfect, no coolant use at all, oil psi 45 hot in a pull. So

Things happen i guess, out with the old and in with the new.

Happy holidays to all!! Be safe out there.

Kent

tanker
12-24-2004, 10:18
Tough situation Kent. I went through that a few years back with my broken crankshaft. :mad: Hope all works out. Happy Holidays. smile.gif

markrinker
12-25-2004, 07:15
Sorry to hear that.

Stories like this one make me nervous - has anyone experience failure AFTER installing the stud girdle?

eracers999
12-25-2004, 13:44
Mark;

That very question was going to be my next topic.

I have the original motor that came in this truck, i just drug it out of the corner today and pulled it down, the ole 599 looks to be good, no cracks.

I talked to trent at DSG in saskatoon and asked him the very same question. His reply was never heard of any failures using the stud gurdle. Block related.

I would strongly recomend that all 6.5's have a stud gurdle, but then there are those that would rather not know.
If somone on this board can convince me that the 599 wont hold up with a stud gurdle, ill buy the new block and go from there.

Kent

eracers999
12-25-2004, 20:32
599 block/ 18 to 1 pistons/ stud gurdle/ gear drive. Yes or no? Will it hold up? If it were your money how would you spend it. 599 or new block, if one can even be had.

Thanks/ Kent

dieseldummy
12-25-2004, 20:53
The 599 has proven it's self in my eyes. Take the money saved on a new block and put it into the gear drive, pistons, and whatever else you want...

eracers999
12-25-2004, 21:17
Thats what ive been thinkin, keep in mind a 599 is what i had.

Kent

Arlie
12-26-2004, 02:09
Here's where it would be nice to have something better than hearsay. There is factual information regarding what was done to make the new block better. Of course the bottom line question is, do they hold up? There is at least a lot of hearsay :rolleyes: that they do.

Too bad there's no actual statistics on this sort of thing. Bet the military has some.

Call me a skeptic but I'm not sure I'd base much on the experience of the person selling the stud girdle. I could be totally wrong but it seems like a band-aid.

I know, in your position I'd feel better with a new block especially if it will see hard work and be kept a while. Course feelings are kinda like hearsay, you know all sorta vague.

Best of luck.

ace58
12-26-2004, 07:32
I am on the home stretch of a project that started with the same failure, although mine started using antifreeze, and was not able to find a new block. Does Navistar sell them on their own or just build them for Hummer/GM? GM only sells long blocks.

Kennedy
12-26-2004, 16:48
What you describe is how my 96 failed at 118k. Only difference is that you caught yours wile your crank was still a 1pc unit and not 3pc like mine became. :eek:

So I built it in a 599 block and 6k later it was cracked again on all 3 center webs. Cracked right to the cam bearings, and thankfully they loosened/twisted out and the loss of oil feed/knocking alerted me before I could break the crank again.

IMHO, a strip type girdle isn't going to do a lot, but it is better than nothing, and easily installed if the pan is off. I did splayed caps. and this engine will sustain 25psi boost now...

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Splayed-caps-Installed.gif

dieseldummy
12-26-2004, 19:12
The main webs is the only thing I haven't had problems with. I've had #6&8 wear out, and had #4 crack resulting in a sleeve. This engine takes the fuel of a maxed out 4911 and sustaind boost of 24+ lbs for hours at a time. Maybe there are just good and bad blocks of the same casting number out there?

More Power
12-28-2004, 11:35
I like the splayed main cap idea....

The 6.5 Project now has 155,000-miles on it without anything special in the way of girdles or spayed caps. No bolt has been turned on the engine or fuel injection system. The engine is an 18:1 equipped 1993 model-year '599 and marine DB2 fuel injection system. It was also balanced and runs a DSG gear drive.

The serpentine crank pulley was replaced about 3 years ago - due to the presense of stress cracks in the rubber. This was the pulley that came on the truck's original engine (which had accumulated 135,000 miles before being pulled).

MP

eracers999
12-28-2004, 22:12
Well this is how it's going to go.
The original motor that came in this truck i got when i purchased it, it is a 599 block date code 11-93. Cameron racing engines called me today and said the block magnafluxed out real good so, i already had a price quote for doing the machine work on installing the splayed main caps that JK sells. Called up JK and ordered the splayed cap kit and a Phazer timing gear set. Being that i already have the DSG main gurdle kit Jk suggested to see if that it can be used in anyway with the splayed caps, then it's going to be bored and get 18 to 1 Mahle pistons. Will use the crank and rods and heads out of the motor that has the cracked block after everything is magged and measured, it was a US Diesel rebuild or supposedly new crate motor 70 k ago back in 2002. A motor that had a lot of blobye with only 35k on it when i bought the truck. I never really felt this motor was right. Thats another post when i got time but i will say this. There is a big time difference between doing a engine your self or a trusted builder, than a production house rebuild.

Thanks/ Kent