PDA

View Full Version : No Crank

midnightrumbler
02-20-2010, 16:47
Ok, so I have been working on the truck for the last few days on unrelated issues and today I go to try and start the truck and nothing. I can here a clicking sound which is the lift pump but I have no crank at all.

The gauges or any illumination including interior light will surge as if there is current being drawn but no crank at all.

Both batteries are reading 12.4 volts

Yukon6.2
02-21-2010, 09:37
Hi
Did you work on the batteries?When i changed the motor in my truck i had everything done,or so i thought.I went to crank it and nothing,lift pump was clicking away,lighrs worked,starter clicked bur wouldn't crank.I checked to see if it had jambed but it was OK.Turned out i had missed conecting the main power cable to the starter.Felt like a fool after all the agro i had caused myself.Hope yours is as simple
Thomas

midnightrumbler
02-21-2010, 09:45
I have not touched the batteries. I charged the truck over night and the volts shot up from 12.4 to 13.7. If I go to start the truck, I can still hear the lift pump but no crank at all. I am only losing about.2 volts when I go tro crank the truck which is normal.

I think I will have to test the batteries under load and possibly test the starter and solenoid. If those are not the culprits, I will be digging into the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch.

I have tried to start the truck in every gear inclduing neutral and I still get the same click from the lift pump and nothing else. Could be a faulty neutral safety swtich.

JohnC
02-21-2010, 10:35
What year is it? (Put this info in your signature so we all know...)

Have you inspected and cleaned the battery connections? Have you checked the connections at the starter motor? Do you have 12 volts on the starter solenoid trigger wire?

midnightrumbler
02-21-2010, 17:21
I checked the starter selonoid today and volts are all over the place which may indicate a bad/loose connection.

I am going to clean up all grounds and terminals tommorow. If this does not fix it, I will drop the starter and remove batteries to be tested.

Will let you know.....

midnightrumbler
02-22-2010, 07:49
So the batteries are good and the starter works. I am sort of at a loss hear now.

I looked at my shifter linkage and it had alot of corrosion on it, I went to remove the clip and the linkage broke right at the clip itself. I do not think this would cause my truck not to start as it does not appear there is any contact on these sources but maybe I am wrong.

Now I have to remove my drivers seat and remove the throttle linkage and install a new one.

Would a broken throttle linkage cable cause the truck not to start? I am getting voltage from everything but the truck still will not crank.

JohnC
02-22-2010, 11:53
You mean "shift linkage", right?

It wouldn't be the first time a '95 ignition switch failed. Just start tracing back from the starter...

midnightrumbler
02-22-2010, 14:09
Yes, I did mean shift linkage. I am used to throttle linkages failing not shift linkages.

I did happen to find my problem though. I located some wires under the drivers seat when I went to remove it and it turns out the previous owner has installed a kill-switch. I had no idea as the switch is located between the drivers seat and the center console and when I was cleaning the truck out the other day I must have hit the switch with the vacuum.

What a pain in the ass this was.

I guess this is a good feature to have as I can kill the starter whenever I want so it is some what a built in security system. I will be sure to inform the next individual when I sell the truck or if I sell the truck about this little switch.

JohnC
02-22-2010, 16:24
Good catch!

rogers
02-22-2010, 20:45
The gauges or any illumination including interior light will surge as if there is current being drawn but no crank at all.

It sounds like you may have one of the hot wires grounded someplace it shouldn't be. Any fuses popping when you turn the key? Did you check both fuse banks?

DaveBr
02-22-2010, 23:25
My truck did this and it was the ignition switch. After playing with it I finally got it to start then it wouldn't shut off. Replaced switch and is all better.