PDA

View Full Version : Truck set up questions

lmholmes11
02-23-2010, 13:36
Hello all,

I have a couple questions.

First, the trailer brake controller that was installed in my truck when i bought it, the light does not come on when I brake. (without trailer). Is it supposed to? Or does it just light up when a trailer is hooked up with brakes?

Second, what is the weight limit of the reese hitch that comes stock on a 2001 Dmax?

Also, what kind of aftermarket towing mirrors does everyone recommend?

Thanks guys

JohnC
02-23-2010, 15:11
First, the trailer brake controller that was installed in my truck when i bought it, the light does not come on when I brake. (without trailer). Is it supposed to? Or does it just light up when a trailer is hooked up with brakes?

Depends on the controller, but most of them act differently if there is no circuit on the brake lead.

Second, what is the weight limit of the reese hitch that comes stock on a 2001 Dmax?

It should be a class 4 hitch, 1000/10,000 IIRC.

Also, what kind of aftermarket towing mirrors does everyone recommend?

Dunno, I don't use them...

MacDR50
02-23-2010, 17:59
Brake: My Prodigy doesn't light unless trailer hooked.

Hitch: IIRC 2 inch receiver frame mount class iv 500/5000 without weight distribution and 1000/10000 with. I haven't checked but I thought the hitch bar or crossover member is stamped.

Mirrors: Sorry mine is a 08 and I am looking at the OEM ones for the 2007.5 and up.

arveetek
02-26-2010, 19:23
There should still be a sticker on the receiver hitch itself that tells you the weight rating.

What is the brand name on the brake controller? That will help us determine the operations of it, but like has been said, a lot of them don't light up until the trailer is connected. This is to let you know if the cord comes unplugged when towing.

Casey

lmholmes11
03-01-2010, 07:47
Thanks for the help guys

MacDR50
03-11-2010, 13:55
An afterthought. I bought an inexpensive 7 pin connector test plug. It will tell if all is right with the truck plug including brakes.