PDA

View Full Version : load chater while starting

vandej
09-03-2003, 19:55
My starter bolt recently sheared off. I took it in to have it drilled out and a new bolt installed because I didn't have the time to deal with it.

The truck started Ok when I left the dealer, however during subsequent starts I hear a loud chater and grinding sound while the truck spins over. Once it is started everything runs and sounds fine. I pulled the starter out tonight and checked to make sure it engages correctly by apply juice directly to it. It seems to work OK. Is it possible to install a starter incorrectly to the point it would cause this loud grinding and chatering sound? I have the R&R manual from this site. Is there anything else I need to know about while installing the starter other than what is in the R&R guide?

Thanks,
Jason

catmandoo
09-03-2003, 20:13
some use a shim between the starter and block. is it there ?

Phil Holmen
09-03-2003, 20:31
I recently went throught the same probelm on my 95 and it turned out that when I had the starter replace previously they neglected to put the front bracket on the starter allowing it to twist under load... hope this helps...

vandej
09-04-2003, 07:26
No shim and no bracket. I assume my starter is OK since it kicks in and out with no noise when I apply juice. IT must be the shim and bracket thing. I am ordering a bracket and shim today.

Thanks,
Jason

rjschoolcraft
09-04-2003, 10:05
Look for abnormal contact near the roots of the teeth on both the ring gear and the starter gear. That will tell you if you need the shim. If the bracket is missing at the forward end of the starter allowing deflection, then there should be a skewed wear pattern that is heavier on one side than the other.

vandej
09-05-2003, 07:54
The wear does look uneven indicating shim problem like you said, however stamped onto the starter's solinoid where the start bolts are inserted is the following statement "NO SHIMS NEEDED". What the h?%# does that mean?

Thanks,
Jason

Phil Holmen
09-05-2003, 10:33
I did not put a shim on my truck as I noticed the same statement. After I reinstalled the front bracket that fixed everything. This is a very heavy starter providing lots of torque that I believe twists the bolts slightly when power is applied and I believe this makes it look like it needs shimmed. I have removed my starter on a few occasions since and found it not to need a shim. Upon reinstallation I put lock-tite on the threads because I found that they kept backing out slightly. I still occasionally check to ensure that they are tight.

Phil Holmen
09-05-2003, 10:38
P.S. I had to remove the inner fenderwell skirt to install the final bolt into the block. I put the bracket onto the starter finger tight to be able to turn it slightly. Install the wires and two larger bolts as usual snug them up. not tight. put the bolt into the block for the bracket and tighten it then proceed to tighten everything else back up..

vandej
09-05-2003, 20:17
Fantastic. Thanks for the tip Phil.

Jason